Domination (psychological)

MacKenzie's more than the perfect compliment to him, the singer-songwriter versus the hard rocker. He's the perfect foil, the perfect innocent cover to his plans, and the perfect hook to draw in the crowd he wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Who would expect anything insidious behind that bright smile and those soft eyes?

Right now Dalton carefully strokes his hair like he would to a lover while the young man slowly plays the new chord progression, undistracted by the touches. Good. He's learning well. The notes gracefully float in rhythm up to the ceiling and soon they'll be in everyone's ears and minds.

MacKenzie puts down the guitar to pick up a water bottle, and of course Dalton allows him that. You can't be any use if you don't take care of yourself.

He whispers the words he knows MacKenzie wants to hear in just the right cadence, a rhythm to worm its way into his brain and have a hard time escaping but stay pulsing under the surface. How he's going to be such a big help to Dalton in reaching all those kids, how he perfectly understands what his message is about and how he embodies it so well, losing and saving yourself in art and the glory of music. How he's beautiful and clever and oh-so-perfect.

And of course MacKenzie believes every word with his nodding and that bright smile.