Forbidden relationship

Heat, wind, and dust whipped around MacKenzie the faster his bike sped down the road that occasionally bumped underneath. He was in his element with the engine roaring in his ears, the sun beating down, and the boy clinging around his waist. His Dalton. Such a dangerous love for a soft and tender flower child. But danger kept the blood pumping in his veins.

He soon killed the engine after doing an impressive spin in the dust and pulled off his helmet. He squinted at the oppressive sun- hell, felt like everyone wanted to oppress them- but this was as far out as they could safely get. "Wanna set up, babe?"

"Kay," Dalton was quiet as always. He hopped off the bike to retrieve the satchel and MacKenzie silently watched him set up their temporary camp, their private hideaway.

Dalton was more beautiful than all that money in the world he had but didn't care about. Watching him move was like being caught in a whirl of translucent pink gauze with a smile like porcelain lit from within. He saw beauty everywhere and his heart was so big to contain all that love. MacKenzie's family sneered at the audacity of such a "fancy sissy boy", never mind that their own son was enthralled with those sea-green eyes and gentle hands.

And of course Dalton's family would turn up their noses at the merest whiff of dirt and leather and chrome. The real world, the world on the other side of town that had been all MacKenzie ever knew, was not good enough for them. Never mind that their son gave his realest of smiles whenever Mack held his hand.

Dalton now lay on the worn checkered blanket and MacKenzie kicked off his boots to fill the empty space and bask in his boy's glow. The wooden beaded necklace he'd given Dalton earlier still nestled against lightly-tanned skin. The boy didn't care it had come from a dollar store, it was already more precious to him than rubies as it was presented as an act of true love.

"It's nice out here," Dalton said and traced along the stitches in Mack's jacket.

"Our own place," MacKenzie kissed his forehead. Oh how he would fight for this little one.

"They're gonna kill us."

Then we'll die together, Mack thought but didn't say. "Not us. Our hearts are our shields and yours is the strongest." He never thought he could ever touch upon a new poetic language to express all the wonderful feelings inside him of discovering love for the first time, but that was Dalton's priceless magic that knew no class line.