Southern Gothic/hauntings

MacKenzie didn't want to believe in such superstitions. Tales about voodoo and curses and especially ghosts were just worn-out stereotypes, and if he had a dollar for every time he'd heard about them he wouldn't have to worry about anything again.

Unfortunately that wasn't the case.

Even with living in the nicer area of town, MacKenzie couldn't stay there forever, which meant sooner or later being exposed to the parts of Louisiana talked about in hushed whispers after midnight. The abandoned homes, the derelict buildings, the odd patches of land with only a few broken stones left over to show they'd once been fully functioning cemeteries. Hell, he'd even gone to the bayou and seen fireflies flutter about like misplaced stars.

MacKenzie had hard of people, the so-called sensitives, who got heavy sensations in their heads or hearts in places where spirits could be lurking. He wanted to write those stories off as well, attribute the strange and sickly feeling in his chest to some sort of contagious psychosis, pretend the musty smells and cold air and lack of light didn't affect him at all.

But it was a bit hard to write off when those sickly feelings kept lingering.