Chapter 9

My parents were finally home. When I was on the phone with them the night before, I was going to ask about the truth. I figured it'd be better if we did that in person. They were home when I got back from school. The shop was closed today. 

"Liberty, how was your day at school?" My father asked. They both came over and gave me a hug. "It was fine," I said as calm as possible. I didn't want to start an explosion immediately.

"How about the wedding?" I gave a fake smile.  "It was beautiful!" My mother said. "There were white doves and they had the little 'just married' sign on their car." Really? White doves? If I didn't know any better, I would've believed her too. She seemed to actually remember something. 

She continued talking about the cute vows and first dance. I sat back on the couch and acted as if I were interested. Lie after lie I kept listening. It truly would've been the perfect wedding too. 

They thought I was buying it until I said, "That sounds so wonderful for a wedding. If only you actually went to one." I could feel the air change. My father swallowed.

"What do you mean?" He sounded so casual. His eyes were giving him away. His eyes made him look like he just stole the money out of the offering bowl and was confronted by God himself.

"I talked to Rita yesterday." My mother sighed. "You didn't think I would call her at some point?"

"I thought about it, but I knew you'd be really upset and wouldn't want to talk to her. You do hold grudges. I should've thought about this more." 

I couldn't believe this. If they'd lied about where they were, they could've lied about anything. Even simple things.

"So what's so secretive that you had to keep it from me?" They looked at each other nervously. 

"We can't tell you yet. We aren't sure if you're ready to know." I was baffled. 

"Is it that I'm not ready to know, or you're not ready to tell?" 

I barely said anything to my parents the rest of that night. I felt betrayed, ignorant, angry, confused, and most of all I felt like I couldn't trust my parents anymore.

*** 

Throughout the week, I felt uncomfortable around my parents. We didn't say much to each other but tension filled that space anyway.

On Wednesday night, Bryson took me with him to go see the stars. We sat on the bridge and discussed writing. I had finally started my girl's point of view to his story. I did so while I was locked up in my room avoiding my parents. 

Throughout the night, I couldn't help but think about my parents and what they could be hiding. Bryson could tell something was wrong. 

"What's the problem?" I decided whether or not I should tell him. I decided to semi-confess.

"Say if someone you've known and trusted for a long time, someone you were really close to, tells you a lie?" He contemplated. I waited till he was done thinking. 

"Well, I'd feel terrible, but it depends. Not every time someone lies to you is it for selfish or evil reasons. They still might lose my trust for a minute." I thought about what he said.

"How do people earn your trust?" I asked. "Actually, at first you don't have to earn it. You just kind of have it." 

"Don't you ever fear someone may hurt you or turn their back on you?" 

"Well, I'm very observant of people. I kind of have a knowing feeling when I meet someone if I want to keep them around me. The people I stick around, I trust. People are human. People make mistakes, I make mistakes, you make mistakes. If you're really gonna condemn someone over a mistake, then you better make sure your mirrors squeaky clean." 

Now, I was confused on what I was thinking. My thoughts were tangled like knots in uncombed hair. Should I be upset with my parents or glad they aren't telling me?

"Can I ask who these people are?" He asked. I felt like I was snitching on my parents, but I really wanted to tell Bryson. And plus, I felt I could tell him. 

"My parents." I barely said it, but he heard. He nodded. "What happened?"

I told him about my cousin and the fake wedding. I told him my parents didn't want to tell me the truth. He just leaned back and listened. 

"You know what makes me feel free? Sitting here and watching the stars. Sitting with someone and sharing it with them. Someone special. What makes you feel free Liberty?" 

He did not just stop our conversation. Rude! Now, I was really confused. 

"Um, doing things on my own, going places, I don't know."

"Knowing things. Having an answer to things, right?" 

"Yeah, I guess so." 

It did make me feel better to know what was going on. To have an answer to things. It made it easier to sleep at night.

"Sometimes Liberty, things come later. There is nothing wrong with not knowing something. Sometimes ignorance is bliss. Not all the time do we want to know what we think we want to know. Sometimes knowing things doesn't grant us freedom."

Sneaky. I guess he had a point there.

"As far as your parents go, if they aren't ready to tell you then they just aren't." 

"But what if I am?" 

"But what if you're not and you think that you are?"

I was becoming frustrated. Stubborn Liberty was being placed in my spot. 

"What do you mean what if I'm not?" I asked curiously. 

"Sometimes people get an answer they necessarily can't handle. They may react in not the best of ways." I had to agree with him. "Just be patient and when your parents tell you, be calm and open-minded."

"Thanks, Bryson." I smiled. 

"Now about that carnival. You still want to go?" He asked me. 

"Yes, I do," I assured him. 

"Good. We definitely need to start hanging out more. I can take you to a whole new world." I laughed. "Or I can take you to one," I said. He looked at me surprised.

"I think mine will be better," he teased.

 "You never know. Mine is pretty exciting." A mischief look raced across his eyes. "I won't say anything." He said zipping his lips with an imaginary zipper. 

"Ha, I got this round!" I said in victory. He chuckled. "You get them all, but that's only because I let you."

I scooted closer to him. He wrapped his arm around me and I lay my head on his shoulder. This felt like freedom.