Chapter 10

When I told Lorise what happened, she flipped. 

"We have to investigate! I have their records right here!" She said pointing to her purse. I knew she was crazy

"Lorise you need help." She groaned. 

"I was kidding... Maybe. I do want to figure out what they're hiding, though." I remembered what Bryson said about being patient. 

"Lorise forget it. They'll tell me when they want; when they feel the time is right." She scoffed. 

"You've learned nothing from me." She shook her head in disappointment. 

"Luckily," I said in relief. 

"Whatever! One day you're going to need to take my advice on things." I was hoping that day wouldn't come.

***
I had worked a bit more on my version of Bryson's story. My mother came in my room while I was doing so. She sat on the bed and watched me. 

"What you writing?" She asked trying to read a bit of it. "A short story."

"What's it about?" 

"A girl and a guy." I wasn't trying to be rude, but I was focused and didn't feel like talking. She sighed.

We didn't talk for a minute. She just stared at the wall while I wrote. I wanted to say something so I wasn't being rude, but I couldn't think of anything to say. She knew what to say, however. 

"Who's that guy that you talk to on the phone?" I can tell this was a question she's wanted to know the answer to for a few days now. 

"His name's Bryson. He's Grammy's grandson." She nodded. "How long have you known him?" 

"For about three weeks," I responded. She looked at me. 

"He lives with Grammy?" 

"No, but he's moving here." 

"From where?"

"Atlanta." 

"All the way from Atlanta? His parents are moving here?" I was assuming he didn't live with his parents. 

"No. They're already here." I tried not to say too much. She looked at me suspiciously.

"How old is this boy?" I was a little worried to answer, so I didn't at first. 

"Liberty, how old is this boy?" I sighed. 

"21." Her eyes widened. "Liberty he's legal!"  

"What's so wrong with that?" I asked. 

"Guys in their twenties can be a bit much." 

"You don't even know him," I stated calmly. Her voice was getting louder and higher. "What if he does something that harms you Liberty? What if he tries to do something you're not ready for?" 

"I'll tell him no." She looked at me as though she were ashamed. 

"Liberty, that's not the point. He's older! He's more convincing. He knows how to play the game." Suddenly, I became very defensive of Bryson.

"Bryson is graduating from college with a 4.2 GPA. He is the smartest, wisest, and kindest person I've ever met! Bryson doesn't hurt people. He wouldn't hurt me and I know that. I see it in his eyes how much he cares. He doesn't want anything from me but for me to be the best I can be." 

"You don't know that. The devil comes disguised as an angel." 

"So he's the devil? You don't know him!" 

"I'm not saying he is the devil! Ugh... Liberty listen, I'm just trying to make sure you're okay and that you're doing the right thing." 

"If Bryson hadn't talked to me, I would be constantly asking questions about what it is you're hiding." That shut her up. She nodded. 

"Okay! You're almost 18. You should be able to learn from your own mistakes. Do what you want." She got up. 

"It's really not that serious," I said calmly. She looked at me for a second with sorrow in her eyes then sat back down next to me. 

"Liberty, it's just that older people tend to think they have more power over younger people. I don't want him to do that to you. I don't want him to make you feel like you have to depend on him." I calmed down completely. I sighed. "I understand mother." She smiled. 

"How do you feel about him?" I smiled while thinking. "He's so smart. He's very funny too. He's always joking around!" I laughed at some of the silly things he said. "He's like a different breed of human," I said putting quotations around the word breed. 

"Different how so?" I shrugged. "Like guys aren't supposed to be mature. Like right now in boy years he's supposed to be like 12, but that's not with him. He's like 109. Guys are supposed to just like sports and stuff, but he likes literature and star gazing. He doesn't see things like other people; he's not what people expect. He understands things. He understands me."  She was calm now. 

"When will you see him again?" 

"Sunday at the carnival." She nodded and reluctantly said, "alright, if you need anything I will be there in lighting speed." I smiled at the thought. 

"I'm sure I won't need anything. Not with him." She hugged me and went toward the door to leave. With her hand on the knob, she turned back and said, "I hope not."