28

He poured me some more wine with his left hand, still holding on to mine with his right one. I contemplated him. I so desired to be completely, madly in love with David. He was honest and sexy at the same time. I realized I had never even considered those two features could go together. I had always associated sexiness to danger. As I thought about it in a deeper way, I found out I had associated sexiness to thrills, and thrills to danger. I could see now that I had only gotten the first part right, and I held onto David's soft and manly hand more strongly.

"You go first." I said, and I encouraged him by lifting my eyebrows.

We freed our hands, and started munching on our food.

"Mmm... let's see... What's the craziest thing you've done since you started college?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

"Seriously, David? That's so typical!"

He shrugged, letting me know it was the first question that had popped into his mind.

"Okay, well, besides letting myself get trapped right in the middle of the war between mortality and infiniteness..."

I didn't know how to answer that predictable, yet difficult question. All the moments my mind flashed back to were things I had shared with Luke. They were impregnated in his scent. The first memory that crowned itself at the top of the craziness-list was the one of the London Eye. But I definitely couldn't share that with David. I would never share it with anyone. That was just Luke's and mine. Just as I ruled it out, our prohibited nights at the laboratory came through. I dismissed them too. David stared at me impatiently. I was taking too much time. I made another quick search. The sexy portrait episode at Brighton.

I gave up.

"Tic, tac..." David pressurized me.

"Oh, I know! I know."

I told him an averagely funny story of a Thursday that Alex and I had gone to a private Medicine party. I made it long, because I didn't want to play the version of truth or dare we had come up with anymore. I made it long, and I ended it by suggesting we should get to The Bridge so that we could tell more of those stories during the long years ahead of us.

I didn't even order dessert. I wanted to get out of the talking part of the night as soon as possible. I really needed to let go, and David's innate seriousness and the hatred he felt for Luke made that impossible.

He took my hand as we walked down George Street. His warmth relaxed me. We passed the Odeon Cinema, and he pointed at it. He stopped, let go of my hand, and turned to face me, leaving just inches between us. I felt the warmth that he had transmitted me with his hand run upwards and into my cheeks, like a rumbling tornado. He came even closer, and whispered into my ear:

"You didn't ask me back, but do you want to know what the craziest thing I've done since I started college is?"

"Tell me." I said, in a trembling, sensual voice.

It wasn't fair for him to stand so close to me. His tan skin was very kissable.

"I went to the cinema to watch The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. When I arrived, it turned out I hadn't brought my wallet with me. I considered going back to college to get it, but there was no way I would still make it to the film. So I just sneaked in. I still don't know how."

I laughed and separated from him, just to make sure I wouldn't kiss him without previously making a decision to do so rationally.

"And you call that youthful craziness? I call that breaking the law, Mister." I exclaimed, and I questioned him with my eyes, jokingly.