Chapter 1: Barely Vulcan

I am not perfect. I have my faults, my mess-ups, my imperfections. I am aware of the eyes that fall upon me as I walk the halls. Am I ashamed? Maybe. The eyes fall upon my ears, those deformed pieces of skin that are attached to my head. Scars cover the tops of them, as if I was mangled. You could say that I suppose. My name is Penny Lane and I am 3/4 part human and 1/4 part Vulcan. I am barely Vulcan. As hard as I may try, I cannot seem to keep my emotions in.

As I walked to my science class, I became uneasy. I felt a new pair of eyes burning into me. I stopped walking and slowly turned to see who it was that scorched me. A tall man was standing behind me, at a distance, watching me with curious eyes. He had raven-colored hair, darker than the nighttime. His eyebrows flowed back into a point on either side of his forehead. And his ears... they had the most beautiful shape I had ever seen. Perfectly pointed and symmetrical on either side of his head. A Vulcan. I immediately turned and swiftly walked through the doorway into my class.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat in the mess-hall eating a salad I had packed. My short, flat, brown hair kept falling into my face, and I struggled to keep it pulled back.

"Perhaps you should use a hair tie?"

I froze in place. It was a deep voice, a very curious one if I might add. Once I summed up the courage, I turned around to face the stranger, "Thank you, but I am quite-"

It was the man I saw in the hallway. The Vulcan. Not only were his beautiful ears enough, his deep, chocolate brown eyes captured my attention as well. We just stood there, staring at each other in confusion and curiosity.

"I apologize," the man said. "I did not mean to make you anxious."

"No, no. Don't be sorry," I stumbled. I held out my hand. "Cadet Lane. Penny Lane."

He took my hand and shook it. "Commander Spock."