Chapter 5: What Are We Now?

The beams surrounded me. My vision was going blank. I lost all feeling as I was beaming down to the surface. I started to panic, as I have never done this before. I no longer felt Spock's presence beside me. At first I heard ringing, but then I started to hear what sounded like thunder. I had my eyes closed, but I slowly opened them. All around me I saw the brown and orange rock of Vulcan. Everything was crumbling around me, and I turned to my right to see Spock looking around as I was. He gave me a nod and held his hand out to me. I grabbed it and he quickly dragged me around the terrain, avoiding holes and falling rocks.

He pulled me through an entrance in the side of a mountain. The entrance turned into a huge room with statues standing tall on either side of the room. There was a statue in the middle of the room, just on top of the staircase. The Vulcan elders were kneeling around it, praying. Among them were Spock's parents. My parents were not there. Spock's mother immediately stood up. "Spock!" She exclaimed.

Spock wasted no time in explaining. "The planet has only seconds we must evacuate," he breathed out. "Mother now!" He held out his hand for her to grab.

I stood behind to make sure everyone was out of the room. I missed two of the elders, as one was crushed by a falling statue and the other was crushed under the collapsing ceiling. I yelped as I heard both of the men scream in pain.

We ran out into the opening and Spock quickly pulled out his communicator. "Spock to Enterprise, get us out now!" He ordered. The beams started to form around us. I looked out on the planet and saw nothing but destruction. I started to feel panicked. My parents were still here on this planet. I just had to accept it. They were gone. The terrain was collapsing in front of us, and my attention was directed to Spock's mother. She walked out onto the edge and turned to look back at Spock. Her eyes were full of worry, as was Spock's. Suddenly, without warning, Spock's mother let out a chilling cry as she plummeted towards the black hole. "MOTHER!!!" Spock yelled, reaching for his mother.

I gasped and threw my hand out as well. Suddenly everyone else was gone. There was nothing but blankness and that familiar ringing in my ears. With my arm still outstretched, I found myself in the transporter room. My gaze sought out Spock, who also had his arm outstretched. I looked to the pad where his mother should have been. She wasn't there. I looked back up at Spock who slowly turned his head to look at me. I couldn't help but let the tears pour over my cheeks. He just stared at me, watching the tears fall down my face. He then turned around and simply walked away.

My parents... they were.. everyone... was just.. gone.

Vulcan was gone. It was no more. Without Vulcan, what are we now?