Chapter 2: Crisis

I stared up at him in surprise. A Commander?! Why would a Commander be talking to a Cadet?

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of my Padd beeping. I quickly looked down and grabbed it from the table. I could hear Spock's Padd beeping as well. He let out a short but detectable 'sigh'. I looked up with confusion. "Commander?"

"A meeting has been announced," Spock started. "Someone has hacked into the data base on the Kobayashi Maru test. I made that test unbeatable, yet someone has found a way into the codes and changed it."

"Wait, you MADE that?" I was still in shock from the sudden approach from the Commander, but now I was told that he made that unbearable test.

Spock tilted his head and raised an eyebrow. He simply nodded and motioned for me to follow him to the meeting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Head of Board's voice rang out among all who sat. Cadet James T. Kirk had been asked to step forward for questioning. He had been accused of hacking into the codes and changing the Kobayashi Maru. He has asked to speak to his accuser directly. My heart jumped when Commander Spock walked down to the opposite platform. "Step forward please. This is Commander Spock. He is one of our most distinguished graduates. He has programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the past 4 years. Commander?"

Spock then spoke with certainty. "Cadet Kirk, you have somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine in the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test."

Kirk looked down at his podium. "Your point being?"

"In academic vernacular, you cheated," the Head of Board answered.

Kirk turned to the Head of Board then back at his accuser. "Let me ask you something I think we all know the answer to. The test itself is a cheat, isn't it? You programmed it to be unwinnable."

"Your argument precludes the possibility of a no-win scenario."

"I don't believe in no-win scenarios."

My muscles tensed. I could feel the annoyance coming from Spock. How could he keep so calm?

"Then not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principle lesson," Spock retorted.

"Please, enlighten me."

" You of all people should know, Cadet Kirk, a captain cannot cheat death."

There was a pause. Kirk looked down once more. "I of all people?"

"Your father, Lieutenant George Kirk, assumed command of his vessel before being killed in action, did he not?"

"I don't think you like the fact that I beat your test."

"Furthermore, you have failed to define the purpose of the test."

"Enlighten me again," Kirk challenged.

"The purpose is to experience fear, fear in the face of certain death. To except that fear, and maintain control of oneself and one's crew. This is a quality expected in every Starfleet captain."

The whole room was quiet. I felt pity towards Kirk, yet I felt disappointed as well. All that he has went through, did he really have to be so stubborn? Always wanting to win? My thoughts were interrupted when a messenger came in and gave a Padd to the Head of Board. "Excuse me sir."

The Head of Board studied the Padd. "We have received a distress call from Vulcan." Spock stared at the Head of Board. "With our primary fleet engaged in the Laurentian system, I hereby order all Cadets to report to Hanger One immediately. Dismissed."

All the Cadets stood up at once and marched out of the room. My heart was fluttering. What is happening on Vulcan? I looked towards Spock in time to see him hurrying out of the room, despair, fear, and confusion emitting from him. Whatever was happening on Vulcan, it would not go well for any Vulcan or human.