Chapter 14: A Close Call

The lights were cleared from my vision. I looked around the room to see Spock, Kirk, and Captain Pike safe and sound. Kirk smiled brightly. "Nice timing, Scotty!"

 Scotty let out a laugh. "I've never beamed four people from two targets onto one pad before!"

Spock turned to me and inspected the large cut on my face. "Spock, I'm fine," I assured him. He furrowed his eyebrows and gave me a worried look. He turned around to see Kirk handing Captain Pike to Bones. He nodded at me and we followed Kirk to the bridge.

 As we walked out, I could hear Scotty yell, "That was pretty good!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 "Captain, ze enemy ship is losing power! Zere sheilds are down, sir," Chekov said as we walked through the door. I stood behind and let Kirk and Spock walk to the screen. I looked out and saw a massive black hole in the middle of the ship.

 "Hail them now," Kirk ordered.

 "Aye," Chekov answered.

 Just then, Nero came onto the screen. Kirk and Spock stood shoulder to shoulder in front of the screen.

 "This is Captain James T. Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise," Kirk started. "Your ship is compromised. Too close to the singularity to survive without assistance, which we are willing to provide."

 Spock turned away from the screen and whispered into Kirk's ear, "Captain, what are you doing?"

 Kirk turned towards Spock. "Show them compassion may be the only way to earn peace with Romulus. It's logic, Spock. I thought you'd like that."

 Spock shook his head. "No, not really. Not this time."

 Nero's voice interrupted their conversation. "I would rather suffer the end of Romulus a thousand times. I would rather die in agony than accept assistance from you."

 Kirk nodded. "You got it. Arm phasers. Fire everything we've got."

 "Yes, sir," Sulu said.

 Just then, the Enterprise shot out all that she had. A sense of pride and relief came over me as I watched that mining ship be mutilated. That ship had destroyed my home. My true home. That ship had caused so many Vulcans pain. That ship had caused Spock to become emotionally compromised. That ship is what made him kiss me..

I watched as the ship was consumed into the black hole. That's it. It's gone.

 Alarms started going off, showing a high gravitational pull. "Sulu, let's go home!" Kirk yelled.

 "Yes, sir!" Sulu replied.

 When the Enterprise turned around, we kept going backwards. We were being pulled towards the black hole. The hole ship was shaking violently. I fell onto the floor, only to be picked up by Spock. He set me down in his lap and held me tightly. I wrapped my arms around his neck and watched the screen.

 "Why aren't we at warp?" Kirk asked.

 "We are, sir," Chekov answered.

 We weren't going forwards, we just kept going backwards. "Kirk to Engineering. Get us out of here, Scotty," Kirk said.

 Scotty came over the comm. "You bet your ass, Captain!!" I could tell Scotty was running around frantically. "Captain, we're caught in the gravitational well! It's got us!"

 "Go to maximum warp! Push it!!" Kirk ordered.

 "I'm giving her all she's got, Captain!!" Scotty retorted.

 We still kept going backwards, deeper into the black hole. I leaned back and looked at Spock in the eyes. He showed no emotion, but his eyes were wide and full of worry. Suddenly, a large cracking sound came out of no where. We all looked up to see the ceiling start cracking. I gasped and dug my head into the crook of Spock's neck.

 "All she's got isn't good enough! What else you got?" Kirk yelled.

 "Uhhh, okay.. If we eject the core and detonate, the blast could be enough to push us away. I cannae promise anything, though!" Scotty yelled.

 We all looked forwards as the screen started to crack. I let out a small yell and wrapped my arms as tight as I could around Spock.

 "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!!!" Kirk screamed.

 Once Scotty had ejected the core, we all just stared and waited. Nothing was happening. I held my breath, and right when we thought all was lost, we were through backwards from a sudden jolt. Alarms were ringing, the engine was revving, and there was a bright blue light flooding the bridge.

 The screen shown nothing but blue matter. Time seemed to pause in that very moment. Then, out of no where, the darkness of space filled the screen once again. Everyone let out a sigh and relaxed in their seats. I leaned back once more and looked down at Spock, whose lips curled up in a smirk. I let out a laugh of relief and hugged him, and he hugged back. He then turned towards Kirk and gave him a small nod.

 That was it. Nero was destroyed. Spock got vengeance for his mother. I got vengeance for my parents. We got vengeance for Vulcan.