Chapter 5

When Tyler opened his eyes, he was gone. He dropped to the floor. He could hear soft cries from Melanie's cell. How could this have happened? No one here had seen Josh, ever. He didn't think they could. And now there was a blurry form of Josh, trying to kill people. And almost succeeding.

Tyler crawled to the door of his cell.

"Melanie? Are you okay?" A small sob answered him. She was curled up on the floor, not unlike the way Tyler was. Tears streamed down her face.

"You could see him too?" Tyler asked. She looked at him.

"You mean the red eyed guy who pulled me out of my bed by the hair and then tried to kill me? Yes, Tyler, I saw him." Her voice was cold.

"I don't know what that was. It was Josh, but he was a blurry, and it wasn't him, but I haven't seen him in hours. And I'm the only one who's been able to see him. Why could you see him? I don't understand." Tyler paced his cell.

"Who's Josh?" Melanie asked, still crying to herself. Tyler sighed.

"He was my best friend. My blurries made me kill him." Melanie gave him a concerned look.

"You killed your best friend? And what are blurries?" Tyler sat down on his bed, his head in his hands.

"It wasn't my fault. The blurries- those are my voices, except they're real and I see them everywhere I go- they made me kill him. They took control of me and made me watch him die." A tear rolled down his cheek.

"So if he's a blurry, like a voice, and no ones ever seen them except you, how could one come in here and almost kill me?" Tyler gripped his hair tightly, almost pulling it out of his skull. His head hurt so bad, and here he was trying to figure out how his dead best friend had now turned into a very real psychopath.

"I don't know Melanie. I don't know." He sat down on the bed. Melanie still had tear marks down her face, and there was a smell of fear surrounding them. So far no guards had to come to check on them. Tyler wasn't surprised. They didn't care about them at all. Any screaming was just the result of some delirious state that they were all in.

A few hours later, and Tyler was still staring at the ceiling. He had counted all of the cracks, all of the visible spots, all of the bumps, but sleep was not an option tonight. His mind raced with images and thoughts of what happened earlier. He still had not seen the real Josh. He wondered if he had just imagined the whole thing. But no, Melanie's screams were very real, and Blurry Josh's breath on his neck was very real. It was all real.

And Tyler was not ready to deal with it.

"Tyler?" someone whispered. He tended up at the sound of the voice. The same voice that had whispered in his ear that he was going to kill him. He slowly turned his head. Josh was standing at the door, his hands on the bars. He slid the door opened and silently stepped inside.

"Why won't you answer?" Josh had a look of worry on his face. His eyes were the same deep brown that they should've been earlier. Tyler was just so afraid that they'd go back to that horrific scarlet, like blood. The blood that had been oozing out of his chest when he killed him. He shook his head violently, as if trying to shake away the memory.

"Josh, earlier. Do you remember it?" Josh looked confused.

"Remember what?"

"There was a blurry here, but it was you, Josh. It had your face and your voice and it hurt Melanie. She could see it and feel it. Why can she see them?" Josh took Tyler's hands in his.

"Tyler, I'm sure everything will be fine. But you're right. It's weird that Melanie can see them. Can she see me?" He glanced over to Melanie, who was staring at the wall.

"Can you?" She nodded.

"Okay, well, I don't know who this blurry was, but it wasn't me, okay? I love you, Tyler. Did it hurt you?" Tyler shifted his gaze to the floor again.

"It told me I was next."

a/n: alrighty shorter chapter here but I am living for writing this story it's so fun