Chapter 22:Pop Goes The Weasel

Opal's P. O. V.
I shine my flashlight around the room. All the while I'm thinking- this should be easy. Its a clown. I hear a honk and a voice, an older male, says, "hiya Opal, my names Harry. Like the one from the movie, except I don't have a wand and I ain't British". Another man's voice says, " don't listen to him Opal, he's seen too many movies. My names Harper". The one named Harry speaks again, " yeah, which is totally girl's name. At least I'm named after a famous wizard". Harper says, " Of. A. Book. get it through that thick head of yours. You aren't the actual boy-who-lived. Sorry about my brother's ego. Its so big there's barely enough room in here. Oh, geez!. Where are my manners, you can't see us can you?. Shine that light of yours in the middle of the room". I shine it and once I see Harper and Harry, my whole body starts shaking. There's two heads on one body. One of the heads has blond hair with green streaks in it while the other head has black hair and blue streaks in it. The black haired one has half of a white clown costume on while the blonde haired one has half of a red clown costume on. They both have large fake noses where their real noses should be. The black haired one, who I assume is Harry, has on a red big clown shoe while the blonde haired one, who I assume is Harper, has on a purple clown shoe. Mismatched hair, clothes, shoes. I look at the clowns and say, "d- do you kn-know where a skeleton is?". The heads turn towards each other.

Harry: I don't know Harpy, have-            Harper: we?. Don't know brother dear. And by the way. How many times have I told you to never-                                            Harry: call you Harpy? Including now I say 201, 567 times, but I can't help it. And about that skeleton, we-   
Harper- have
Harry - seen.                                                      Together- it.                                                                 Harry- in fact its                                          Harper- right
Harry- over
Together- there

I shine my flashlight to where their  fingers are pointing. Leaning against the wall is Lucas's skeleton. I walk towards it and lean down to inspect it. Some of the bones of the upper torso look to be intact. In fact, all the bones look to be intact. I whisper, "if they didn't do anything to him? Then how'd he die". I feel a puff of warm breath on my ear and then Harry's voice saying, " I know right. We didn't even get to make him wet his pants. The minute the dude saw us and I mean the minute, his face went all white and he fell to the ground. He died of fright. But, you haven't, which means we get to have some fun with you". Arms wrap around my middle, lift me up and squeeze. I gasp but its quickly cut off. I feel one of the arms leave my stomach and wrap around my neck cutting off my air circulation. I will not show fear. I will not show any weakness. I close my eyes and remind myself that's its only an hour. I count to five on my left hand using my fingers. Its a way of calming down. 12345, 12345, 12345,
12345, 12345. I calm down but just a little. I keep my breathing even. All the while I'm thinking - At least Death by a clown isn't the worst way to die. There are plenty of ways. Car accident, earthquake, murder, robbery gone wrong, a deal gone wrong, assassination. Hmm, assassination, that's an interesting one. There are so many ways a person could be assassinated. I breath through my nose and grit my teeth. Let an hour have passes, please let an hour have passed.

Harry: hmm...do you think he's have enough Harpy?
Harper: hmmm, maybe, I gotta say he definitely is lasting longer then that other kid.
Harry: you do have a point Harpy. We good?
Harper: We good.
Together: great.

The pressure from my neck and stomach is gone and I can breath again. I take five deep breaths. While I'm recovering from my near death experience, I see that the clowns or clown(?) is gone and so is Lucas' skeleton. I run to door open it and step out into the hallway. Alex says, "Opal, you ok?". I nod and say, "you tell me, I'm probably scarred for life. I found Luke's remains. Esme, its your turn. I need to sit down". I move away from the door and sit down on the floor. I watch as Esme walks towards the door and words appear- Rosalinda Mary Jacobs. Esme nods, opens the door and with the flashlight in hand walks alone into the dark room. The door shutting behind her with a final click!.