Part 31

"Stop moping and go off to sleep!" Sanyukta's phone glowed as she lay tossing on her pillow. It was a message from Randhir.

"I was asleep, and how did your party get over so quickly?" She typed.

"You are a bad liar, so don't even try. I bet you were thinking about which girl I was taking home with me tonight, as my birthday present!" Randhir grinned wickedly as he typed in the words. He could read her like a book by now. 

"Why are you texting when you are surrounded by your buddies?" She asked curiously.

"Just stepped out because Mom and Dad called up to wish me. Thought I'd call you first but it would be awkward if your mother heard you conversing on the phone this late. So decided to message you instead." He clarified.

"I thought your friends had planned something special." She hesitated a bit before typing, she did not want to seem too intrusive.

"They did, they planned a bachelor theme party at Suhail's bungalow because his parents are away on a holiday just like mine, called in some Russian girls to enjoy with and have been drinking and dancing like there's no tomorrow." Randhir stated casually.

"You should be with them instead of chatting with me." She did not want him to miss out on the fun.

"Been there, done that!  My birthday is just an excuse for them to have some wild fun without their parents knowledge, they will not miss me much. As soon as I cut the cake the frolic began. The couples are busy with each other and the singles are occupied with the Russians. I will slip out and get home in a while, I really need my sleep. Unlike these party animals who will doze all day tomorrow I have a site visit." He informed her.

"But it is your birthday, and you don't work on Saturday usually, especially on your birthday!" She was surprised, she had not known of any scheduled visit.

"Business is business. The client made an urgent request and in any case I would spend the day  sleeping if I partied all night. It is better to go to bed now and work as usual. Anyway tomorrow evening I will have to meet clients and family at the Marriott, cannot squirm out of that. Hey, you can join me for the site visit, it is not far and we will be back before 4 pm because I have to be at the evening party." He offered.

"I don't know, will have to ask Mom, will let you know first thing in the morning." She admitted.

"Ok, sweet dreams then, text me in the morning so I can pick you up by 7 if you are coming."

"Fine, enjoy yourself." She signed off. If Randhir had told her the truth he would probably head home in a few minutes. She would know for sure in the morning. She felt a bit calm yet excited about spending time on his birthday with him. She hoped she could convince Anju into giving her permission to go with Randhir.

When Randhir got back among his friends he noticed that everyone was having a great time, and because she was tired of waiting around for him Rewa was now dancing rather intimately with Suhail. Randhir did not need to second guess that the two would end up in bed together when the party subsided. He smiled, Rewa was the typical footloose single girl, she had no inhibitions about taking what she wanted in her life. She was dressed to make her intentions clear, leaving nothing to the imagination. She was not one to wait in the wings for the guy to make the first move, when Randhir continued to ignore her she wasted no time in hooking up with Suhail.

Suhail was a qualified software engineer and ran a successful business in Bangalore. He came to Goa to spend his holidays at his family bungalow. This was the first time Rewa and him were getting together and Randhir hoped they would continue dating so that she would remain distracted and stay off his back. After some time he said a quiet goodbye to Suhail and Parth and left for home. He changed and went to bed to catch some precious sleep.

Next morning he was woken up by the sound of his phone beeping a message. It was Sanyukta, telling him that she had Anju's permission to join him, asking him to arrive a bit earlier than the scheduled time. She mentioned that Anju had invited him for breakfast. Randhir smiled as he made his way to the bathroom, Goa would be barely awake when Sanyukta and he would set off on their way to Belgaum. It seemed like a good idea to spend the day with her instead of his other friends who would go to bed at dawn.

Anju greeted him warmly as she opened the door to let him in. "Come in Randhir, Sanyukta is still getting dressed!" She invited him. "Just give me a minute!" She said to him as she retreated into the kitchen, only to return with an aarti thali in her hand. She performed aarti for Randhir, who was touched by the gesture. "Your mother would have done the same thing if she was here today!" She smiled at him. When Randhir touched her feet she was taken aback. "I am happy to see how responsibly you are conducting yourself, prioritising work even on your birthday. Sanyukta will benefit by just being in your company, there is already such a positive change in her. May all your business ventures be successful! " She mouthed a blessing.

Just then Sanyukta walked in, looking daisy fresh, and she greeted him formally. They sat down to a breakfast of upma and some sliced fruit. Anju served kesar milk instead of tea and offered him homemade laddus as a sweet snack. She radiates warmth even when she has had a difficult life, Randhir thought. After they had eaten, Randhir thanked Anu for breakfast and he left with Sanyukta, driving towards Belgaum. It was a three hour drive and they stopped once for some tea at a café en route. "So many snacks, who are they for?" Sanyukta asked out of curiosity.

"There is an orphanage on the way, the children will still be at breakfast, this is for them. They deserve a treat on my birthday. Have this chocolate pastry, if it is good we'll pack these for the children too!" They tasted the cake and found it decent. After paying for the food they drove straight to the orphanage. Randhir knew the caretakers there and Sanyukta helped him to convey the food packets to the mess where they served the goodies to the children, bringing a smile on their face. "Sweet of you to do this Randhir!" Sanyukta remarked.

"We have been blessed with so much we owe it to society to give something back!" He explained

"We have been blessed with so much we owe it to society to give something back!" He explained. He had pre-ordered a Chinese meal for the children's lunch when told that it was their favourite cuisine. He made a donation toward the meal expenses and had the staff to unload bags of clothes stacked in his car, and meant for the children. He had ordered those from stores in Panaji and they were delivered a couple of days earlier. After bidding the children a farewell they got back in the car to continue their journey toward their destination.