Part 70

"Hurry up, Colette, we don't want to be behind schedule!" Renuka, already dressed smartly,  cautioned the makeup artist and stylist who was attending to Sanyukta as she dressed for the reception. Colette was applying a final coat of pearly varnish on her fingernails when Sanyukta glanced at herself in the mirror and was amazed to see the transformation the stylist had achieved. Her dark circles had vanished behind the carefully applied patina of the concealer. The foundation spread generously over her upper body simulated a radiant glow. 

Her eye makeup was dramatic, making her eyebrows and lashes look hypnotically black. The matte berry lip colour helped accentuate her otherwise unwilling smile. She wore no jewellery except for a ring and a Bismark bracelet. The teal green gown hugged her shapely body perfectly and her hair fell in soft curls down her back. A simple floral headband added a prom girl touch. It was ironic that though she was adorning herself, she had no desire to play the part of the newly married Shekhawat bahu. In fact both Vishad and Sanyukta had requested Harsh to keep things simple to reflect their hitherto undisclosed marriage.

Sanyukta spritzed herself with a docile floral perfume and slipped into carefully chosen evening shoes. Her background as a physical therapist had helped her nail a perfect pair that looked formal enough yet did not compromise on comfort. She knew she had a long evening ahead, and that she would have to dance with Vishad and the other men from his family- it was de rigueur among the circle the Shekhawats moved in. Not that she looked forward to matching her step with Vishad, but she was certainly nervous at the prospect of having to dance with Randhir. She took a deep breath as she stepped outside the room, bracing herself for the challenge of enacting the happy bride.

The sight of the brilliantly decorated and illuminated lawn filled with guests made her feel queasy, like she was participating in a deception. She could see drinks and snacks being passed around among guests seated around the venue. A few children sprinted between the ornately laid out circular tables. As they spotted her, people either waved out or smiled at Sanyukta. She managed to keep a smile on her lips, Renuka had  insisted on it. Anju, dressed in a satin beige saree, stepped forward and hugged her daughter.

"You look lovely, my dear! I wanted to see you in a bridal saree but guess you will be more comfortable in this rather than being weighed down with gold and brocade!" Anju smiled warmly and used her phone to take a few pictures  with her daughter.

"How are you feeling now, Ma?" Sanyukta peered at Anju to look for any obvious sign of malaise. If there were any Anju kept them cleverly hidden behind a veneer of her happy smile. To Sanyukta's pleasant surprise her mother had gotten her hair done and had touched up her lips with apricot gloss. Her eyes were lined thinly with brown eye pencil. Around her neck was a double string of pearls and pea-sized ruby beads held together with gold wire and the pearl drop earrings on her earlobes enhanced her appeal. On her wrists were a pair of ruby eternity bangles. Every piece of jewellery she was wearing was hand crafted and antique. Sanyukta recognised it, Anju had inherited it from her own grandmother.

"Ma, can I say something? You've never looked so beautiful before! All you need is a some ratan aboli in your hair to look like a bride yourself! I am totally envious! Tell me, you dressed up for him, didn't you?" Sanyukta grinned, giving her mother an affectionate squeeze.

"Hush, child! Don't be silly, why would I dress up for him? And widows don't wear flowers in their hair. Just that I never bothered to dress up at my own wedding, so I thought I'll compensate by making up at my daughter's." Anju replied quickly, embarrassed by her daughter's suggestion. Sanyukta was not entirely wrong. Anju had been careful about improving her appearance, though not to draw Harsh's attention but in order to fit better among the class of guests she knew she would be amongst at the reception. She did not want to appear outclassed and give Renuka an opportunity to disapprove of her get-up.