s i x t e e n

Joey's POV

As I lie in this hospital bed, I feel useless. I can feel death slowly enveloping me, not giving me any chances to break free. Daniel has only left my side to get food and beverages, forcing me to eat at least a minimal amount of food daily. I don't want to eat. Eating means living, and I won't, nor do I want to, live anymore.

"Sweetie?" I suddenly hear Daniel's quiet voice, the slightest bit of rasp from his lack of sleep. He doesn't know it, but I hear him cry during the nights. It breaks my heart.

"Yes, Danny?" I reciprocate, turning slightly to look at the boy I've fallen endlessly for.

He smiles sadly, standing up and walking over to me. He bends his knees as he crouched down to meet my level.

"You know I'll never forget about you, right? You've changed my life in ways I never expected. For someone who has been in my life for such a short amount of time, you've impacted it the most. I feel ways about you that I've never felt towards anyone else. I'm not sure what it is, but it makes me feel so incredibly giddy and warm inside. You make me want to be a better person, Joey." he whispers softly, running his fingers lightly through my hair as his eyes water slightly.

My hand reaches up slowly at my weak state, grabbing ahold of his other hand. I smile as warm tears roll down my cheeks, my hand lightly gripping his.

"I'll never forget you either Daniel. I promise. We don't truly know what comes after life until we die, but whatever it is, I know I will be thinking of you until we meet again." I whisper, my words strained and the slightest bit inaudible.

Daniel smiles as tears begin streaming down his face at a fast pace. He leans down, wrapping his arms gently around my frail frame. My arms wrap around him gently and we just stay that way for a while, holding each other.

"You're going to be okay." I whisper, feeling him nod against me. "Don't hold on."

He pulls away, looking at me and sniffling.

"I will hold on until the day I die, Joey. No matter what, you'll always be in my heart."

After the words leave his mouth, I feel myself slowly growing fainter by the second.

Death is around the corner, waving me over, and I think I'll soon be ready.

(a/n: I'll possibly update again today! this story is ending soooooon 😭)