t w e n t y

Daniel's POV

His hand felt cold in mine as we sat there, silent enough to hear a pin drop. The only sound in the room consisted of my soft whimpers and beeping of machines. It wasn't what I expected it to be. I told myself I was prepared. I told myself it would be okay, but it won't be. Everything is slowly falling apart.

"Joey," I whisper, his eyes following me. "I'm not sure how you still manage to look so beautiful, but you do."

I see his eyes twinkle under the light, tears brimming my own swollen eyes at the sight. The look in his cloudy eyes almost pushes my emotions over the edge, almost.

My eyes water and I take a deep breath in, followed by a deep breath out. The sight of him lying in this bed, unable to move, is depressing. I want to explore the world with him, marry him, have children, and grow old with him. None of this will ever happen, but I can't imagine doing it with anyone else.

"D-Daniel," I hear a quiet voice mumble, my attention peeking. Joey's eyes are focused on mine, his closing slightly.

"Yes, sweetie?" I ask, a sad smile sprawling across my face as I hold onto his hand tightly.

"I love you." he whispers, his eyes slowly closing more and more.

I'm taken aback by his words, the tears pouring down my face. My throat grows dry as I smile through the tears.

"I love you too, Joey." I reciprocate, watching as his eyes fully close.

The loud, drawn-out beeping noise occurs and nurses rush in immediately. It's too late to do anything, but they try anyways.

My hands cover my face as tears flow out, gurgling noises sounding from my throat. The pain I feel is unbearable.

My Joey, my sweetheart, my love, my everything...is gone. Forever.

I didn't expect the boy next door to be so special to me, but all the greatest love stories appear to start out that way, don't they? Ours was different. It didn't end with marriage and three little children running around. It ended in death. But in some odd way, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Forever in my heart, Joseph Michael Graceffa.

(a/n: no cliche ending here. if that's what you came for, looK SOMEWHERE ELSE👋🏼 notes will be posted shortly)