Chapter 22

I immediately stood up, dusted myself off and stepped on the cigarette butt. Kahlee led the way back inside to Andy's room. I heard the steady beat of the heart monitor and she opened the door. Everyone turned to us and I saw Andy's unusually pale face break into a grin. I didn't realise I was holding my breath until I let out a sigh of relief. I ran to him, throwing my arms around his neck. His hand held the back of my head and his fingers tangled themselves in my hair. I planted my lips firmly to his cracked but still soft ones, knowing I was now able to kiss him again.

I pulled away and noticed we were now alone. "Hey," Andy whispered.

"Hey," I smiled back. I pulled a chair close to the bed and sat down, my hand holding his. "How are you feeling?"

"How do I look?" Andy straightened himself up.

"Like crap."

Andy groaned. "I feel like crap."

I chuckled and lifted the sheet off of his stomach, examining the bandage over the scar that the bullet had left. Andy watched every move I made with interest.

"You like my battle scar?" he joked. I smiled, brushing my fingers over it.

"If I could see it... Does it hurt?" I wondered aloud.

"A little," he said. "It might be better with a kiss."

I leant down and kissed his side. "Better?"

"Yes."

We sat in silence for a moment but Andy couldn't help himself and continued to talk. "God, I had forgotten how beautiful you are." He wiped the smudged mascara off my cheeks.

I smiled. "So are you able to come home?"

He nodded. "I think so. You're gonna have to take care of me though."

I playfully groaned. "Take care of you? How will I ever manage it?" I smiled sarcastically. "It would be my pleasure."

That brought a smile to his face. I could see his mind jumping across from different thoughts.

"Who..." Andy started, but couldn't find the right words. "Did they find out who..."

I stopped him by shaking my head. "Not yet baby," I replied. "But they're working on it. Do you remember seeing anything?"

Andy thought over it and nodded. "There... There was a guy..."

"What'd he look like?"

"I... I didn't see. He was... wearing a black hoodie to cover his face..." Andy stopped as he saw my expression of horror. "What's wrong?"

"The Guy in Black..." I let out.

"The one that shot me?"

I nodded. "He's been following us ever since my first performance."

"Do you mean that time you swore you saw a man in the shadows, it was him?"

I nodded again. So I wasn't imagining it... That man was out to kill him. And he almost did. If the bullet hit anywhere closer to the left, Andy wouldn't be here. The adrenalin kicked in and I stood up, my chair falling behind me.

"Babe?"

"He was going to kill you Andy!"

"I know but..."

"No buts! He was going to kill you! Take you away, just like that!" I clicked my fingers. "Gone! Kaput!"

"Baby, please. Sit back down. I'm fine now, completely safe..."

There was a knock at the door. It was the nurse. "Miss Mills?"

I raised my eyebrows. "Yes?"

"We have to ask you to go now, Andy needs his rest," she explained.

I sighed and looked back at Andy. "I love you," I whispered and kissed his forehead.

"I love you more," he smiled weakly and the nurse escorted me out.