Chapter One

The ornate wrought-iron gates opened slowly to admit the sleek Mercedes-Benz C450 AMG. Carved into the granite columns at each side were the words Mount Asteria. The car drove up the avenue, the sound of gravel crunching beneath the tyres alerting Alexandra Gracieux, inside the car, that she was no longer on the main road.

Peering out the windows, she could see, on either side, the extensive grounds that appeared to stretch further than her eyes could see; perfectly manicured lawns, a rose garden, clipped hedges, fountains, statues and monuments. In the distance, mountains and hills rolled on seemingly forever, forming a breath-taking back-drop. She had forgotten the beauty of the country.

The car eventually came into view of a large and imposing mansion. It rose high into the air, built of light grey granite. A wing swept out at either side. It sparkled - countless windows glinting in the afternoon sun.

The car swept up the driveway and came to a sudden halt in front of the mansion. Eager to get a better look at this magnificent building, Alexandra opened her door quickly and stepped out. She looked up, feeling immediately as though the mansion were towering over her. Three large pillars stood on each side of the entrance, and there, between them, stood a middle aged woman with greying hair pulled into a tight French twist.

Alexandra heard a car door open and close behind her and a second later Mr Stephenson was standing beside her. The woman descended the steps to greet them.

"Good afternoon, I'm Annette Elbourne, the Deputy Principal," she introduced herself.

Mr Stephenson shook her offered hand. "Greg Stephenson. Unfortunately the Ambassador was called away on business and could not come." He gestured towards the girl beside him."This is Alexandra."

"Welcome to Mount Asteria, Miss Gracieux. I hope you enjoy your time here. If you'll both follow me." She turned and led them inside.

They emerged in a grand entrance hall. The ceiling was impossibly high, and looking up, one could see clearly each level, marked by a balcony overlooking the foyer. A chandelier hung all the way from the top, the crystals reflecting thousands of specks of sunlight. The floor was of a polished white marble which matched the large staircase in the centre of the room. It split into two separate flights halfway up.

"Mr Stephenson, if you would like to take a seat at the reception desk, there are some documents that need to be signed. I can show Miss Gracieux to her room and I will be with you presently."

Alexandra, with a last smile to Mr Stephenson, followed the deputy principal obediently up the marble staircase, turning right where it forked off, and through a maze of corridors almost as ornate as the foyer. They were all deserted, making the place seem eerily quiet.

"Students board in the South Wing. I'll arrange for you to have a proper tour later, once you have settled in. You may address me as Mrs Elbourne, by the way."

Alexandra nodded. They had arrived at another hall, open from the ceiling of what would have been the attic down to the ground floor. In the ceiling there was a skylight, and an abundance of windows along the sides allowing light to pour through from all directions. There was another magnificent staircase, this one spiraling down around the walls.

"This is the entrance to the boarding house,"Mrs Elbourne said. "There are six floors, as you see, one for each year. Sixth years are on the ground floor, fifth years on the first, and you are on the second floor." They descended a few flights, going around the perimeter of the hall three times, and came through a set of double doors to a wide, carpeted corridor.There were dark wooden panels along the wall, broken at regular intervals by at least a dozen doors.

"Each girl has a room to herself. This is yours." Mrs Elbourne saidin her almost mechanical manner. She paused at the first door, the number 10 inscribed on it. She slid a card into a small opening above the door handle. There was a small click and Mrs Elbourne opened the door, stepping back to allow Alexandra in. She did so, a little tentatively, but quickly broke into a smile when she saw the room.

A double-sized four poster bed was positioned facing the window, which stretched floor to ceiling. Across the room, there was an adequate wardrobe made of the same dark wood as the panels in the corridor, a desk and two armchairs nestled around a small, circular table. The wallpaper, carpet, bedspreads and curtains were of pale golds and creams.

"This is lovely," Alexandra said, as much to please Mrs Elbourne as to express her own sentiments.

"I'll leave you to unpack and freshen yourself. The fourth year common room is through the door at the end of the hall. Your housemistress, Miss Bunting's, quarters are through the door next to it. Use this card" - Mrs Elbourne handed Alexandra the card she had earlier used to open the bedroom door - "to unlock your bedroom and the common room. It will not work for any other room. I'll send one of the girls to fetch you in twenty minutes."

"Thank you," Alexandra said, happy to be given some time to herself.

"I'll see you at dinner, Miss Gracieux."

***

Author's Note

-Feedback greatly appreciated, and will be repayed!

-Particular concerns in this chapter:

  descriptions - too much? do they make sense? 

  what are your initial impressions of Mrs Elbourne and Alexandra (if you have any at this point)?

-Thanks and I hope you'll read on:)