Chapter Forty Three

The girls had a nice afternoon wandering around the museum and Greenwich, though Alexandra could not help but miss the boys and their humour. When they returned to the house it was already dark. Hestia ran upstairs to change as soon as they arrived and Alexandra promised to make some tea in the kitchen. As she approached the door, however, she could hear voices coming from behind. It was Daniel talking – she could tell by the tone.

"So you're back," she said, walking in and heading straight for the kettle. Daniel stopped talking immediately and Alexandra glanced over, shock flooding through her as she saw who he was sitting opposite at the kitchen table.

"Oh, hi, Laura," she stuttered, forcing a smile onto her face. "I didn't realise you were here."

She turned back and focused her attention on making tea, wondering why she was so affected. Laura Hunt's presence was unexpected, but now she felt more than simply surprised. She was uneasy.

"Hey, Alexandra," Laura replied, her light hearted tone somewhat reassuring. "How's your midterm going?"

"Good. I'm kept busy here. Do you guys want tea?" She looked between them awkwardly, avoiding direct eye contact.

Daniel spoke this time. "No, thanks, Lexa. We just had some," he said, gesturing to the mugs and the plate of biscuits in front of them.

"I should get going," Laura said, standing up. "I'll see you two on Saturday."

"I'll walk you out," Daniel offered. Alexandra smiled and watched them leave. She could not help it – when Daniel didn't return immediately she crept a few steps out the door, peering into the hall. There she saw him hugging Laura tightly, then pulling away and looking at her intently – as if concerned. He said something – she did not catch his words – then Laura left and she scurried back into the kitchen.

"Sorry if I interrupted something," she said, blushing as she set down her and Hestia's cups of tea on the counter.

"What? Oh, not at all. We were just finishing up, and even if we weren't you could have joined us."

Alexandra raised an eyebrow. She somehow doubted that they would have welcomed a third wheel.

"Sorry if I was a bit rude earlier, I just had some things to talk about with Laura."

"Don't worry about it, me and Hestia had a nice time."

"I'm glad."

"Where's Pierre gone?"

"Upstairs, having a nap. He stayed up until five am last night."

Alexandra almost gasped. "Five am? What was he doing?"

"Eating. Watching movies. Trying to keep me awake. He's a bit of an insomniac."

"I don't think I'd be able for a friend like that."

"Well, I certainly am not." Daniel shook his head, taking his phone off the table and making to leave the room. "See you later."