five.

luke groans as he gets up from the couch again to answer the door.

when he opens it, lauren is standing there, perfect as always. she's wearing a white jumper with black leggings and combat boots, her dark hair perfectly framing the green eyes on her pale skin. but what she does next isn't what luke was expecting.

lauren grabs luke's face and smashes her lips on his.

luke is taken aback, obviously, but slowly falls into the kiss. his eyes widen as he realizes what he's doing and he gently pulls away.

lauren's eyes crinkle in confusion. "what-"

"lauren, i-"

"luke, do you love me?" her question takes luke for another surprise, as he hasn't been expecting this from his best friend who he has been in love with for years. luke slowly nods, not knowing what else to say.

"then kiss me." lauren mutters and pulls luke's neck to reattach their lips. luke has to push her arms away to stop the kiss, but before he can say anything, a voice is heard behind him.

"what the hell?"

lauren's eyes fly open, her hands still clutching his face, and luke turns around muttering profanities.

aleisha is standing there, right in the hallway.

"luke?" lauren mutters as she removes her hands from his face.

"lauren, i-" luke is flustered, trying not to make the situation more worse than it already is.

"luke?" aleisha asks, in confusion, disgust, and sadness all in one tone.

"aleisha, she-"

"is his best friend and nothing more." lauren interrupts him and she runs out the door before luke could do anything.

luke turns back to aleisha who is standing, with her arms crossed. he puts his head down, already prepared for the beating or yelling he's about to receive.

but he doesn't get one.

instead, aleisha walks up to him and kisses him lightly on the cheek.

"i saw eveything, luke. i know you were trying to push her away, but when she asked if you loved her, you said yes. and i knew you would. because the way you talk about lauren, like she's a princess, and she's the best thing in your life, makes me sad, but happy for you. i'm not mad at you. go after lauren. we can still be friends, but i'm not gonna date you if you're so beautifully infatuated with another girl, and ruin your relationship with her. lauren is a lucky girl, by the way." aleisha smiles. she hugs luke, and he is surprised aleisha took the whole situation so lightly, but he appreciates her as a friend.

"thank you, aleisha." luke whispers.

aleisha pulls away and smiles. without a word, she slips her shoes on and slowly jogs to her car outside luke's house.

❁ ❁ ❁

calum sighs as he knocks on the classroom door and waits for it to open.

mrs. brown opens the door and smiles at him. "can i help you?"

calum smiles. "yeah, i need uh..." he looks at the slip again. "ashton irwin?"