Stranger danger

Published: August 25th, 2016.

"Thank you." I lick my lips and smile with a double chin.

"Just don't go too crazy or you'll get a brain freeze." Brendon turns off the lights and sits next to me in my bed starting Sixteen Candles on Netflix.

My phone vibrates forty minutes into the movie but I ignore it until Brendon pauses it for a restroom break.

Anonymous: Are you okay?

Ugh, I roll my eyes and quickly type my response.

Me: I don't know how you got my number, but fuck off Bellamy.

Anonymous: I apologize. Bad time? I understand.

"I understand?" I repeat aloud. That's not Bellamy.

"Understand what?" Brendon comes out of my restroom whistling. His hair still flawless.

"Nothing. Just some weird text." I lightly shove my phone away and we keep watching the movie.

After the movie, I help Brendon with a science analysis and he helps me contour with make up.

My phone vibrates again.

Anonymous: If you ever need to talk, just message me.

I suck my teeth and release a long breathe.

"Who keeps texting you?" I barley understand him since he's stuffing my dad's secret stash of animal crackers that I'm going to have to replace before he notices.

"I don't know. I thought it was Bellamy, but they're too ...nice."

"Hm. Just call them." He takes my phone and unlocks it, going through the messages.

"What! No. Stranger danger!" But they know me. So no stranger?

Too late. He's already calling.

"Here, its calling." He gives my phone back to me and keeps eating casually. Before I could hang up, a voice answers.

"Is everything alright?" Through the obvious concern and tiredness, I most definitely recognize that smooth yet raspy voice.

"Mr. Collins?" I almost yell out but catch myself. Brendon's eye go wide and he spits everything out. Everything. On his work. For HIS damn class.

For a slight second, I feel a bit relieved its not someone else. But him? Should I be creeped out?

"Wh-How did you get my number? I thought you were Bellamy. Ohmygod, I'm so sorry. But at the same time, you-"

"When you lent me your phone for me to check your message, that's how I got your number. If this makes you feel uncomfortable, I'll simply delete it from my phone." He's so professional.

"It's not. It's fine. I, uh, I didn't expect this."

"Are you alright then?"

"You heard what happened today?" Anything concerning Courtney or a fight is news. So a "fight" with Courtney spreads like wild fire.

"What's going on!" Brendon waves his hands and listens intensively.

"Bellamy told me." He sounds like he was about to sleep. I check the time and see its almost midnight. My parents are pretty cool with Brendon staying this late.

"Yeah, I already spilled my feelings to my best friend. I'm good." As soon as I mention Brendon, he smiles like a little baby eating a sweet.

"Well then. Have a goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow."

"You too, Mr. Collins." I smile a bit and bite my lip. My hair hides my face and my heart warms that people, teachers, like him exist in this world.

"What the fuck just happened?" Brendon wiggles his eyebrows.

"He wanted to check up on me. He does that with like all his students. Be real. He's a teacher." I laugh but squeeze my phone with a smile.

"Really? Cause I was sensing a little something more." He taunts and starts cleaning up his mess.

"Whatever."

:)