Part 36: First Steps

"Mariana, can you please calm down? You've been cranky all morning."

"Callie, I'm five months pregnant. What did you expect?"

I rolled my eyes and left the room. Mariana came to catch up with us about a week ago, but we are basically babysitting her now. I entered the kitchen where I saw Brandon cleaning the dishes, and Emily was playing with some toys on the floor.

"Is Mariana still acting like a teenager?" Brandon asked.

"Yup. The worst part is that... Oh my god B, look!"

We turned around to see Emily trying to stand up. She had her both hands placed on the floor and her little legs where trying to maintain stability. I was so shocked and happy to see this. My little baby was growing up. Brandon and I got closer to her, in case she might fall. When she was finally able to stand up completely, she moved one step and then fell on the floor. Gladly she didn't cry, she started giggling instead.

"I love you so much." Brandon said grabbing Emily "And you too little girl."

We stood up with Em in our hands and hugged. We were having a mini celebration about our daughter finally having her first steps.

"I can't believe it; she's so grown up!" I said "She'll turn 1 in a week."

"I know! We still haven't heard some first words though." Brandon said kind of disappointed.

"She'll come around, you know it. And of course her first word is going to be mommy."

"You think that. We'll see when she finally says daddy." We laughed and shared a kiss.

At that point the idea of having another baby was still waiting. For now, we just stuck to Em and Mariana's pregnancy. We were happy though, and that was the most important thing. A week later, we had a little party the four of us for Emily. Mariana had gone all out on treats and gifts, even though we insisted her not to.

"Okay, let's take a picture." Mariana said "I need to post one."

"You need to?" Brandon joked.

"Yes! Look at her." She said pointing at Emily "She looks so cute all covered in cake."

The four of us gathered around to take a picture for Emily's first birthday. It wasn't until a few minutes later that we noticed what Emily was doing. She started mumbling some letters trying to make up a word. We all stared at her waiting for the word to come out.

"Come on Em, just say Mommy. I know you can."

"Hey." Brandon said.

"Sorry."

"Ma mmm." Emily tried saying "Mummy."

"Oh my god. She said it!" I shouted.

"That's my girl." Brandon said lifting her up.

"I recorded it!" Mariana exclaimed.

"Da ddaaa." She then tried saying.

"Two in one! She said it Callie. She said it." Brandon said happily.

We were so happy celebrating our little girl almost walking and trying to speak already. That's the moment I realized I had a family. Besides from the Fosters of course. But now I have my own little family, and we are just starting to build it up.

Brandon and I hugged and kissed like if we were saying goodbye for a long time.

"Yes we can." He said.

"What are you talking about?"

"Let's have a baby Callie. I want to have another baby with you."

He lifts me in the air and we kissed once again. It was real, we were going to try and have another baby. We were going to give Emily another brother or sister, and we could just hope they would end up taking care of each other.

"Mari, are you sure you don't want to stay more?" We asked her the next day.

"No it's okay. I should leave. Thank you for everything guys."

We went back into the apartment and placed Emily in the floor for her to play while we sat on the couch to talk. Nothing important, really. We just like catching up and being there for each other. We got so caught up in our conversation we didn't even realize Emily was trying to walk again. She got up slowly the same way as last time, she was able to walk three steps before falling down to the ground.

"Come here little girl." I said lifting her up.

"Maaaamy." She tried saying.

This had been the best few weeks for us. Specially for Emily. We were so excited to see our little girl grow up and discover the world. Little did we know, this road was just starting.

I really hope you guys liked this chapter! If you have any ideas or requests, make sure to leave them down below. I know I already said it, but thank you so much for more than 4k reads. It means a lot, really :)