Fighting Never Solved Anything

The moment Sam's feet touched the ground, he rounded on the angel, a snarl on his face and a glare in his eyes. Gabriel met his gaze, his expression empty, though his mouth twitched with regret.

"Why the hell did you pull that stunt?" Gabriel asked softly, the fight in his voice long gone. Sam stared at him, a desperation coming over him like nothing before.

"Why do you think?" Sam spat, unnerved by the emptiness he saw in Gabriel. It was as if he was back in the past again, staring at the heartless version of the angel that he had come to love.

"Because you're a Winchester and you don't know when to get your head out of your ass and give up!" Gabriel snapped, a momentary rage appearing on his face. His wings rose, almost threateningly towards the sky.

"It's because I am the only one that seems to give a rat's ass about you!" Sam shouted, meeting the angel's stare that rivaled Lucifer himself, "I've done everything I could to find you!"

"You should have been like every other human and given up when my father told you!" Gabriel retaliated, his eyes glowing with an unearthly light as he stared him down, "That should have been clear enough that I couldn't be saved!"

Sam paused, staring at the angel with an incredulous expression on his face, "How did you know that your father told me that?" Sam echoed, only for his eyes to widen when he made the connection, "You told him to tell me that, didn't you?"

"He knew what I had done and the crimes that needed to be punished," Gabriel growled, his hands clenching into fists, "And because of your meddling, we have now have three enraged creatures out for blood!"

"And what would have letting you die done? Leaving them to do whatever they wished after brought the dead one back?" Sam retorted, hearing a flutter of wings behind them with the pungent stench of blood and burnt flesh filling his nose.

"Thanks for leaving my back there with the three of them," Lucifer growled snarkily, bringing Sam's attention to the fallen angel as he glanced back at him, pressing his lips into a thin white line.

"Did you kill them?" Sam asked, and Lucifer scoffed in anger.

"Two got away after I killed the first one. I tracked them to the arctic before they got away," He responded, looking behind Sam with dangerously enraged eyes, "You put me through a hell of a headache, Gabriel," Lucifer hissed in annoyance, and Sam swallowed nervously when he saw the fallen angel's hands clasp into fists.

"I never even wanted you to be here," Gabriel snarled back, an accusing look crossing over his face, "Why the hell are you out of the cage anyways?"

Lucifer grinned and turned his eyes to Sam, Gabriel's following and narrowing with rage, his eyes glowing as they met Sam's.

"Sam...what the hell did you do?" Gabriel growled, walking closer and staring up at Sam with an unprecedented rage.

"He set me free to save you," Lucifer stated, a smirk on his face as if he were enjoying every moment of their pain, "You act as if your surprised. He is a Winchester after all."

Gabriel didn't dare look at Lucifer, his gaze hardening until his entired body thrummed with his grace, "You are a fool, Sam. He is nothing but a monster and you set him free," Gabriel hissed, turning away from the both of them.

"You're one to talk, Gabriel," Lucifer snapped in response, causing the archangel to pause, "You are just as dangerous of a monster as me. The worst monsters are the ones who don't they are."

With a sudden whirl, Gabriel slashed a blade at Lucifer, a snarl on his face as the fallen angel dodged, twisting his body at incredible speeds as he grabbed Gabriel by one of his wings.

Gabriel let out a pained noise as Lucifer gripped the wing harshly, bending it to a point that Sam was sure it was going to snap as his other hand snaked around, gripping the angel tightly around the throat. Sam moved forwards to stop the fight before it got out of hand, but a glare from Lucifer paused him in his steps.

"You may be an archangel but I am the Devil. I was born to be more powerful and don't you forget it," Lucifer hissed, pushing Gabriel away from him and glaring at the angel. Gabriel clenched his hands, baring his teeth as his grace begin to move along his hands, growing to a power that stirred the wind and caused the screeches of birds to grow in alarm.

Yet, the power stopped dead in its tracks, and the angels froze, and before Sam even had a chance to react, Lucifer was in the air, leaving them alone.

"Gabe? What's going on?" Sam asked, his momentary anger forgotten at the haunted look that crossed over into Gabriel's expression.

"The monsters are moving towards Palo Alto. They're screaming for blood," Gabriel managed to spit out after a second of shocked silence, panic beginning to light up his features.

"You're not in Palo Alto though," Sam answered, but Gabriel just shook his head and grabbed his hand, his body shaking as he stared up at the taller man with wide eyes.

"They're not after me," Gabriel whispered before pulling Sam close, flying up into the air towards home.