18. True Lies

>>>

Marina didn't know how long it had been.

Minutes? Hours? Or even days?

In reality, it had only been about 45 minutes since Jonathan had fed from her. She also didn't know how she was still alive after that, as she felt extremely weak and her neck was bleeding profusely. Her eyes blinked opened and she was met once again with Jonathan's smug face.

"It's like you love fainting around me. Do I really have that great of an effect on you, dear?" He smirked, his sharp fangs poking through his lips.

Marina groaned slightly and leaned her down. She felt lightheaded and could barely keep her eyes open. "Why...why haven't you killed me?" Her voice came out barely a whisper. If she were speaking to any other human, they wouldn't have heard her. But Jonathan was supernatural and had heightened senses.

"I haven't even got to know you yet, Marina. You think I'd kill without getting to know my victims?" Jonathan teased and walked closer to Marina.

Marina responded with a faint "Yes" and avoided his gaze. He now stood in front of her, his hand caressing her hair and moving down to her neck. She winced as his fingers brushed over the bleeding wound and he grinned.

"I got you good, didn't I?" He grabbed her chin roughly and made her look up at him.

"I'm going to tell you a story. I know how much you love stories, especially those of the past. You will listen attentively." He spoke, compelling her and releasing her chin.

Marina blankly looked at him and Jonathan smiled as he began speaking again. "I once heard of a young girl. She was only a teenager when she fell in love in with this boy. Derek was his name." He stopped and looked at Marina, waiting for a reaction. She tensed up and clenched her jaw at the mention of the boy. Now she knew where he was going with this.

"They were in love, even though they were only children. They were inseparable and soon enough, they became very intimate with each other. But they were irresponsible. The girl ended up with child. They were both terrified. They knew nothing of raising a child. But that didn't stop them. The boy proposed and they were to be married after their high school graduation, before their first year at university."

By this point, tears were blurring Marina's vision. She hated this. She hated how he waved her past in front of her face. It was not something to mock.

She took in a sharp breath and Jonathan grinned at her reaction, knowing he was breaking her and he hadn't even gotten to his favorite part

"Everything was going well for the young couple. They were happy and they had their family's support. One day they were on their way back to their hometown, having been out visiting the girls family a few towns over. It was late and the street was barely lit up. Derek was driving and the girl was in the passenger seat . They were arguing, they had been doing that lately. And when she was about to burst into tears, Derek hit something. Or someone."