23. The Hybrid

wOW okay so this book reached 1k reads and I'm literally so happy like you guys are the best thank you so much! It means so much to me and ugh ily guys!!!!!

Also huge thanks to bradford_bad_gurl1 for making me a new cover! What do you guys think of it?

>>>

Jai quickened his pace as he walked through the empty corridor of the hospital. His undead heart was racing with fear and worry with each step he took that brought him closer to Marina. He felt useless. He had let her down. He didn't fulfill his promise in protecting her.

He turned the corner and practically ran into the room. He rushed to her side and took in her appearance. Marina laid there on that sorry excuse of a bed. Her eyes were shut, her breathing slow and a needle was piercing into the vein of the inside of her elbow.

His eyes trailed from her arm, following the thin tube connecting to a blood bag. It was mostly full and Jai felt his eyes become bloodshot, veins protruding from underneath them and his fangs poking his tongue as he kept his mouth shut. It wasn't just out the dreaded hunger he had to deal with everyday for the rest of his life, it was because he was angry.

Actually, he was furious.

Jonathan only saw her as a walking blood bank, hence why he hasn't killed Marina. His sadistic way of torture was bleeding her out to the point of her death, heal her with his blood, then do it over again. It wasn't just a punishment to her though, but to Jai as well. Seeing her in pain and suffering broke his heart.

He breathed in and out, slowly gaining control of himself. When he did, he carefully ripped the needle out of Marina's arm and scooped her up into his strong arms.

"Jai

"Jai...?" She groggily whispered, her head falling against his chest.

"Shh. It's me. You're okay. I've got you." He whispered back at her and tightened his hold slightly. He swiftly made his way out of the room and the hospital and disappeared into the night, only caring about Marina's safety in that moment.

-Flashback-

"Thank you, Mr. Davidson! I'll have that paper in by next class." Marina called out to her professor, a grateful smile playing on her pink lips. After two weeks, Marina returned back to her normal schedule that consisted of college and work. Well, now just college.

Jai had her quit her job. She wasn't exactly happy with his demands but she understood where he was coming from. She had been hurt at her work twice and he wasn't going to risk a third time. Marina didn't want to quit though. She needed the money to pay the bills, food, and college tuition. Her salary barely covered the bills and necessities, so she was learning off a college loan. Jai insisted on supporting her financially, which Marina immediately declined. She didn't want to be dependent on someone, especially for money. But Jai kept pushing and pushing and she obliged, not exactly happy with that.