Chapter One

It had been five months.

Five whole months without a single call, text, or voicemail. Five months without a random visit, without yells and threats and empty promises. Five months were enough to heal the wounds, (both mental and physical.) Yet, it wasn't enough time to rid John of the persistent nightmares. He had begun to wonder if they would ever go away.

The plants in the windowsill crinkled at the end of each leave, a brown color climbing up. He mentally cursed, realizing he hadn't watered them in a week.

He was forgetting to do a lot of things recently.

Most times he would send his friends a text after his shift. He had forgotten to do that. In fact, he couldn't remember the last time he had talked to them.

John hadn't made his bed in at least a month. When was the last time he washed his laundry? Oh God, he hadn't restocked his pantry yet this month.

"Breath." He reminded himself.

At least he had remembered to feed his pet Shelly. He hadn't been late or missed a shift yet. He had friends who would understand that his life had been busy. Being forgetful was not the end of the world. John knew that. He just sometimes forgot even that.

John threw his messy hair in a ponytail. He used a few bobby pins to hold the loose curls that wouldn't stay in place. His apron was clean. That was another thing he had going for him.

The Two O Clock train passed by on schedule and he knew that was the cue to leave. When he had first moved into the apartment, he had hated that train. It was so loud, seeming like it was inside the apartment. The horn screamed each time it passed, refusing to be silent. It ran along the tracks each night, at first refusing John sleep.

Five months had been enough for John to accumulate to the train. Now, it acted as a lullaby. As it roared each night, it lulled him to sleep.

John was used to loud noises. Screams used to be his nightly white noise. The train had replaced the nightly aggression that used to engulf him. He much preferred the train anyway.

Eliza had skipped around the house all day, using any opportunity she had to spin in her new dress. It was her most favorite of color, pearls lining the bottom, swishing as she walked. Oh, how she admired the dress. It brought out the color in her eyes, and illuminated the joy in her features.

It was her five-month anniversary with her doting boyfriend. Five months ago today, she had bumped into the fumbling boy on school campus.

He had asked her on a date that same day. "I know it's sudden." She remembered him explaining. "But you are so stunning. I can't resist asking if a lady, such as yourself, would like to grab something to eat with me."

She could remember every detail of that day, every memory precise and clear. Dating Alexander had been the best thing to ever happen to her. Every minute spent with him was more extraordinary than the last.

Today, he had promised to do something special. Eliza loved how she didn't even have to remind him that it had been five months, how he had been the one to remind her.

She loved the way he promised to celebrate, the way he promised to fill her life with as much joy as possible.

Eliza felt like she was living in a dream. She didn't have a worry or a concern. There was nothing her Alexander wouldn't do for her. He was caring, protective, and loyal to the utmost extreme.

She looked in the mirror; examining her looks once more She never tried too much with her appearance. Though people always stated how lovely she looked, it was not a priority. Angelica always grabbed other's attention, being the most amazing of the sisters. Eliza never minded watching her sister dazzle everywhere she went, but today was different. With Alex, it was different.

Alex made Eliza feel so important, and today was so special to her. She applied one last coat of red lipstick before feeling satisfied with herself.

Alex knew he had to pick Eliza up in an hour. Not only that, Alex wanted to pick her up now. He had a nice date planned, and he should be getting ready.

Yet, whenever he began preparation to leave, he remembered the homework he had due. True, he had already presented his 1 AC, but he felt like it wasn't strong enough. The negative team would have no problem destroying it. Alex knew there were errors with it. That was why he couldn't leave now. He had to make corrections.

It was his and Eliza's five-month anniversary. They were the happiest five months of his life. He was pursuing a degree on a full ride at the college of his choice. He had a great apartment. He was also dating the most beautiful girl on campus.

True, he felt like he was missing something. Also true that he knew he wanted more. Alexander never lingered on that feeling. he never thought about the hollowness each morning as he woke up. He never ever thought about how sometimes when he was with Eliza, he thought it wasn't going to last. He didn't contemplate how deep down he knew they weren't soul mates. Never.

Alexander rubbed the bridge of his noise, a headache coming on. He stuffed the homework in a bag grabbed his keys, and headed out the door.

"I've always wanted to visit that coffee shop down the road." He thought to himself. He was not going to just work on his debate homework. He was going for the sake of coffee.

He lingered outside the door for a moment. According to his watch, he still had fifty minutes before his date. He lit his cigarette, knowing if he was going to smoke, it would have to be before his date. Eliza hated his habit, telling him it was awful for his lungs. Alexander always pretended to care.

The smoke filled his lungs, the heat warming him up a little. God, he missed Nevis. The frigid New York air today was a cruel reminder of his tropical homeland.

The shop sign flapped back and forth as a result of the harsh wind. Alexander snuffed the cigarette out, stepping into the shop.

It didn't take long at all to realize the warmth of the shop. It hit Alexander in waves as soon as he opened the door. He noticed a fire pit was the source of the heat.

Alexander also realized how cozy the little shop was. He'd have to take Eliza here sometime.

The third thing Alex noticed was the barista. He gave a weary smile as Alex approached the counter.

The man was taller than Alex, but not by much. His hair was curly, pulled back in a ponytail that was threatening to break. His eyes lingered on Alex for a long period of time. God, his eyes were stunning. They were more clear than Eliza's, more cheerful that her eyes had ever seemed.

Alex shook the thought from his head. Eliza was his girlfriend. This man was no one. Still, Alexander couldn't help but notice the freckles which grazed his still smiling lips. He couldn't stop but wondering what those lips would feel like against his own.

"Hello, what can I get you, sir?"