Chapter Six

Alexander had thoroughly enjoyed his first date with John. He liked everything about John, especially his laugh. It rang through Alex's ears all day long.

He had practically memorized the way that John would throw his head back, letting out a borderline shrill laugh.

He adored John's innocence, something that not even John himself realized. He had a glow to him, something that stood out. He wore a jovial expression, as though he still believed in happiness. He had a look of childishness naivety, and Alexander relished in it.

Alexander also liked the idea. He liked the secrecy, and the forbidden air that came with the whole affair.

Some people enjoy chaos, and not in a psychotic way. They enjoy the ridiculous hectic everyday life. They enjoy stressful situations, and deadlines. Late nights poured in over work, and a rush to get out the door. It filled them with a sense of purpose, though it wouldn't make sense to anyone else.

Alexander knew for a fact that he was one such person, needing the insanity of life in order to not become bored. Boredom is a dangerous thing for someone with great lengths of intelligence, and can lead to all sorts of dangerous outcomes.

However, Alexander hadn't realized that one could also get addicted to another kind of stress. He had the job of keeping everything quiet, making sure John didn't realize Alex was still with Eliza, and vice versa.

He enjoyed having to balance two different relationships, playing along as he could before he slipped up. He knew it was only a matter of time, but everything about the situation seemed pleasant. If he loves one, and the other one too, who was to say he couldn't have both?

The date had been sweet, but cut off quickly. Eliza kept texting Alexander, wishing for him to visit. They had some big party, and Eliza hadn't wanted to be alone.

He had left swiftly, offering up some apparent lie to John.

John.

He was entranced by everything Alexander had said. They had discussed all sorts of things, but John hardly remembered any of it now.

All he could remember was Alexander's genuine smile, and how his eyes crinkled a little each time.

He remembered not the words, but the passion that Alexander had delivered each time he spoke. He was always so proud and resolute, believing every word of whatever he was saying.

John adored it, feeling special and loved. It was a foreign feeling, and though the two had hardly touched, that's all John could think about. What would it feel like for his Alexander to kiss him? Or to hold him tight and whisper sweet nothings in his ears?

Anyway, it was all so silly, and John knew that. Alexander had promised to meet up with John again today, since the last date had been cut short.

This time however, they were going to a bar.

John hadn't been crazy about the idea, for almost childish reasons. He felt like a bar lacked all romance, and that these places were always so dark and gloomy.

Alex had asked though, and John couldn't deny him something so small.

Alexander had picked John up, and once they had arrived and parked, Alexander slipped John's hand into his.