Chapter 33 Birthday (Part 2)

Kirstie's POV

Everything was going perfectly. Esther got all the decorations during her free period and hid them under her bed, Kevin and Avi are going to help me set up during canteen, and Scott is going to persuade Mitch to go to canteen with him. This party is going to be absolutely perfect, after all I kinda owe this to Mitch for all the years I missed.

Scott's POV

"Come on Mitch will you please come with me, I don't want to go alone" I begged "We'll have fun, I promise."

"Okay, I'll go"

We walked to canteen. I looked around, everything. It seems completely insane that the summer's ending. We only have three weeks left before we go back home to our separate lives and next year, if we come back, we'll be counselors, and maybe even judges of Battle of the Bands. 

"Can you believe this summer's almost over?" I asked Mitch

"No, it's crazy. It feels like we just got here, and just met"

"It does, doesn't it. It also feels like we became official right there" I pointed to the tree by the dining hall 

"And that's also where we kissed for the first time"

"Some pretty magical moments"

"Yeah. This is a summer I will never forget"

"And why is that?"

"This is the best summer ever. I have you and after years without one of my best friends, she found her way back to me"

Mitch's POV

We walked into canteen and sat down at one of the tables. I noticed Scott kept on checking his phone and he seemed kinda distant.

"Scott?"

"Huh?"

"Why do you keep checking your phone? Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, don't worry about it. I'm just expecting something"

"What is it?"

"My mom said she wanted to tell me something and hasn't told me yet"

"Oh"

After about 20 minutes of sitting at canteen eating Scott thought it was a good idea to go back to the bunk. When we got to the bunk all the lights were off. Scott went to turn them on.

"Scott! Don't turn the lights on, someone could be asleep!"

"No" Scott said turning the lights on

"Surprise" Everyone yelled

"Oh my god! Thank you! Who is behind this?"

"I am" Kirstie spoke up

"Kirst, oh my god" I ran over and hugged her

"Mitchy" Scott called grabbing my attention "I have something for you" He handed me a small box with a beautiful ring "It's a promise ring. When we were at the beach and I said I was going to the bathroom, I didn't go to the bathroom I bought this for you and this is the perfect time to give it to you"

"Oh my goodness. Thank you so much"

"Mitch? I have something I'd like to say, guys could you turn off the music this is a big one" Kevin turned off the music "Thank you. Mitch, these past few years have been a rough patch in our friendship and I hated it more than anything. If someone had told me that I shouldn't trade my greatest friendship for popularity that might not have happened. I missed talking to you and hanging out with you so much. Your friendship meant the world to me and I so easily traded it for popularity and I still can't get over how awful that was, but the one thing and moment that meant the most to me, I hid and brought everywhere with me, hoping one day I could wear it proudly without worrying that it would get destroyed. Today is that day! Today is the day I wear this bracelet without worrying that someone would destroy it! Earlier today I broke off the friendships that ruined ours, and I've never felt so free. I have years to make up for and I know this one party can't possibly make up for them, but I will do everything I can to make it up to you, and you know that. I spent all day trying to come up with the perfect present, but I couldn't come up with anything. Well, that's not entirely true, just wait. But first I want to sing you a song. This is a song that we've sang together since we were little and I thought it was a perfect fit to sing to you.

Sometimes in our lives we all have pain

We all have sorrow

But if we are wise

We know that there's always tomorrow

Lean on me, when you're not strong

And I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

For it won't be long

'Til I'm gonna need

Somebody to lean on

Please swallow your pride

If I have faith you need to borrow

For no one can fill those of your needs

That you won't let show

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on

I just might have a problem that you'll understand

We all need somebody to lean on

Lean on me, when you're not strong

And I'll be your friend

I'll help you carry on

For it won't be long

'Til I'm gonna need

Somebody to lean on

You just call on me brother, when you need a hand

We all need somebody to lean on

I just might have a problem that you'll understand

We all need somebody to lean on

If there is a load you have to bear

That you can't carry

I'm right up the road

I'll share your load

If you just call me (call me)

If you need a friend (call me) call me uh huh(call me) if you need a friend (call me)

If you ever need a friend (call me)

Call me (call me) call me (call me) call me

(Call me) call me (call me) if you need a friend

(Call me) call me (call me) call me (call me) call me (call me) call me (call me)

I made you this while I was looking through old pictures" She handed me a scrapbook of pictures of us that go back years

"Thank you" I said through tears. Kirstie truly made this my best birthday ever.