Part 3

"Mammy, did you know that nice man that helped us?"

Cheryl chuckled softly as she tucked Sophia into bed later that night. Once they'd gotten home and had a bit of dinner, they had watched a film together because Cheryl then determined that it was time for Sophia to go to bed as she was starting nursery the following day – something that she was really looking forward to while Cheryl was struggling with the fact that her daughter was growing up.

"No, I didn't know him – he told me his name was Liam; he was just really nice to help us wasn't he?" she replied, stroking her finger over her daughter's dimple that matched her own. Sophia nodded her head as she cuddled her pink bear tightly.

"He was really nice," she replied, "Mammy, you told me to always be nice to people didn't I?"

"Yes; I did – be a nice person, because being mean is wrong and it makes people sad, so be nice to make people smile and feel better." Cheryl replied. Sophia nodded her head before letting out a yawn.

"Are you always nice to people, Mammy? Even when you're in the big court?" she asked, curling up under the blankets. Cheryl giggled a bit; typical Sophia – being tired but continuing to ask questions even though it looked as though she was about to be fast asleep.

"Yeah babe, I try to be really nice," she then kissed her forehead, "Off to sleep now, babe; I love you."

"I love you too, Mammy; forever." Sophia whispered. Cheryl smiled at her, stroking her cheek as she drifted off into sleep. Cheryl continued watching her for a second, before then leaning over and kissing her forehead. She then flicked on the nightlight, before then making her way out of the room and closing the door halfway. She stretched her arms in the air and went back downstairs to take the laundry out of the wash, feeling tired herself especially since she was dressed in her own cozy pajamas and had, had a long day. She already knew tomorrow would be a long day as well because she had a court case to attend first thing in the morning around nine, then she had a load of meetings throughout the afternoon to discuss a case that she and a few other lawyers in her firm were working on together.

She was in her own little world humming a tune to herself as she loaded up her dryer with freshly washed laundry, when the sound of her phone ringing in the living room distracted her. She rolled her eyes and went through to the living room, smirking to herself when she saw that it was only Nicola calling her.

"Sup Cola bear?" she replied as she made her way back to her laundry room.

"I swear I hate life," Nicola instantly groaned in response, "The case I have tomorrow afternoon; the prosecuting lawyer is Joe Smith – I'm screwed, my streak is over."

"Oh hell." Cheryl groaned, her eyes going wide at the thought...

Attorney Joe Smith worked for a huge law firm in London and was one of the best prosecutors in the entire country. Cheryl had, had a couple cases against him and even then, she'd struggled herself even though she was one of the best defense attorneys in the country herself. Joe just had a way to get inside the minds of juries and other lawyers, and Cheryl had struggled as hard as she could to not let him get her down. She and her client hadn't even won the initial first case they had against them and actually had to go for an appeal, which they'd successfully won in the end even though it had been tough. Hearing that Nicola and her client had a case against Joe the following morning made her stomach churn, but she was also confident that Nicola would do quite well as Nicola too was a very good defense attorney and was pretty strong minded as well.

"Right; like I don't want us to lose and then have to go for an appeal; I wouldn't think I'd have to. I'm looking over the case file and notes right now and my client is pretty squeaky clean and there's a good amount of evidence that shows that the odds are in our favor, but I'm sure Joe will find something to try and throw us for a loop so my client gets some jail time or community service – basically a criminal record. Joe is fucking ruthless." Nicola groaned away; Cheryl being able to hear the distress in her voice as she finished loading the dryer. She put her phone down briefly to switch it on, before grabbing her phone again.