Chapter Nine:

Regine Iman Thomas

I wasnt going to lie and say the way that Joey went off on me didnt hurt my feelings. I would usually go off on anyone that talked to me like he did but for some reason, I couldn't ever bring myself to say anything when he acted that way towards me.

I knew he was capable of being nice. I knew he was capable of acting decent towards me. I also knew that he didnt want to. He hated me.

And as much as I wanted to hate him too, I couldnt. I was still stupid and interested in him. I was still trying to reach out to him. I was waiting for him to open up to me. I was being foolish.

Or maybe I was just dreaming. I was being too hopeful. This wasnt a movie. This wasnt a tv show. This wasnt a book. It was real. And things that are real are never pure rainbows and sunshine.

I pulled my box braids up into a bun making a mental note to take them out tomorrow. My hair needed to be free for a while. I did my make up and threw on a midi bodycon dress and some white chucks. I changed my nose piercing from a hoop to a stud.

I finished right on time because Shameik texted me right when I was spraying on perfume. Joey was knocked out on the couch. I walked downstairs and met Shameik at his car.

He smiled, "You look nice."

"Thanks. So do you" I replied. He opened the door for me to get in and went to the drivers side to get in himself.

"Where are we going?" I asked him after a few minutes of him driving. It was pretty quiet between us two. The only noise so far had been the sound of Erykah Badu's Window Seat coming from his car speakers.

"There's this little club I been trying to hit up for a while" he smiled. The club scene was not for me. Who takes a girl to a club for the first date anyway? But then again, he never said it was a date. He said we were "going out".

"I never asked you how old you were. The last thing I want to do is catch a case" he chuckled.

I smiled. "I'm nineteen." He laughed. "Damn, you a baby."

I frowned. "Am not. How old are you?"

"I'm twenty-three." He didnt seem that old.

We pulled up to a place and when we walked in, it wasnt at all what I was expecting. I was expecting scantily clad women dancing around and guys jumping behind them trying to catch ass.

Instead the air was graced with the smell of food and the sound of In Common by Alicia Keys was playing from the speakers. There were tables set up with people sitting and a dancefloor where people were dancing.