Heart of the Cards

• Dedicated to Kazuki Takahashi for whom all Yugioh characters belong to. Thanks for the inspir

"Raven! Get down here!"

Raven groans and stretches from beneath the covers. She rubs her eyes and rolls over to look at the clock on the far wall. Let's see, big hand near the six, little hand just past the twelve.

Raven groans, "She's waking me up at six o' clock in the morning on a Sunday."

"Raven!"

Raven rolls to her feet and shouts, "I'm coming!"

She rushes down the stairs, attempting not to trip on the many shoes that are strewn over the stairs. Raven reaches the bottom of the stairs and walks into the living room, "What?"

"Shh!" her mom hisses. The entire family has gathered around the television to watch the news. It must be something big if her thirteen-year-old sister was out of bed before noon.

"The President has personally advised the general public to remain indoors with loved ones until this new terrorist threat has been neutralized." The newscaster announces, "For those of you who are just joining us, a terrorist group hacked into U.S. satellites broadcasting, and said that they would use a weapon to change the world forever. The government has yet to reveal if they know what this weapon is and how it can be used. Unofficial theories state that nuclear weapons may be involved. We will keep you updated as we receive more information."

Raven closes her mouth after realizing its hanging open. "D-did she just say what I think she said?"

Her mom looks over at her with misty eyes, "They think someone's going to blow up the country."

"That can't be true!" Raven insists. This can't be another attack. Why would terrorist make an announcement like that? Just reveal their plan before actually doing it? Don't they usually take action then take the credit?  

"Why not?" her mom challenges.

"It doesn't make sense," Raven explains. "Why announce their plans before making a move?"

"To make everyone panic?" Raven's younger brother Jordan offers.

"I don't buy the threat for a second," Raven's dad says.

"Oooo Rave has a conspiracy theory!" Raven's sister Brittany yawns.

Raven yawns in response. "I'm going back to bed."

"No you aren't," her mom protests. "You are staying down here."

"Can I at least take a shower?" Raven asks with a huff.

"Fine," her mom replies with a roll of her eyes and a flick of her brown hair.

Raven loots through the pile of clean clothes in the laundry room and snags up an outfit to wear. In half an hour she is clean, refreshed, and ready to tackle whatever this crazy day is going to throw at her.

"Happy now?" Her mother asks stiffly as Raven reenters the living room.

"Yup," she replies, brushing her long blonde hair. Not much has changed in the living room, the only difference is that this time Jordan is eating food and Brittany is messing with her iPad. Her parents stare intently at the Morning News broadcast. Her dad turns up the TV for who knows what reason since the volume was already up to the max.

The News anchor returns to the screen, "Still no new develops on the terrorist threat that we reported to you earlier today. We do have confirmation that all forms of business across the viewing area are being urged to shut down for the day in light of this very real threat. Hospitals and ERs are to remain open in case of emergency situations. As of now, the country is still under a state of emergency. "