~A new Friend~

The sun blinds me coming out of the dark alley way. The mutants get more active when the sun is out. I don't understand why but, it's like rush hour traffic but, with mutants limping everywhere the ones without legs are the scariest. There like crawling babies and I don't mean the cute ones. The ones that try to rip your limbs off.

~time skip~

              As I walk down the middle of the road I try to find a good hiding spot till the rush hour is over. Instead of finding a good hiding spot I find a dog looks like a Great Dane in a small alley way. Looking straight at me bearing his teeth i get down on one knee and grab my backpack from my back. Reach in my backpack slowly and I grab the piece of jerky I had in my bag. He looked innocent now, he sat down closer to me. I hand him the old piece of jerky and he munches on it till its gone. I reach out to get the dirt off his head. He jerks back fast when I barely touch him 

"It's okay..I'm not going to hurt you."

            He doesn't have any identification. So I wonder? How has he been alive or does he belong to someone? All these questions running threw my mind. What I really want to know is if he's with someone. If so, i want to know who.

            A scream comes from the end of the alley the dog and I are in. I turn and see three shadows at the end of the alley. I quickly grab my bag and run as fast as I can out of the alley. Running down the street I hear in the far distance more screams from the mutants. Now realizing, the dog is running faster in fount of me looking back at me like its a chasing game.

            While sprinting past all the tall broken down buildings and out of the small town with the dog still in front of me. I look back and see following me at a limping pace at least 14 mutants. I run with the dog by my side past the field I was at this morning into the tree line. Stopping for the dog to catch up. We try to keep our breathing down. With a few minutes past in silence now, not counting the dogs panting not a soul of a sound is near but the wind dancing in the trees with that I take a seat under a big tree in the woods.

           Plopping on the ground under the tree I turn to the dog and start giggling.

              "I'm glad I did track in school" 

          I say to the dog that sits right next to me. I rap my hand gently around the dog. He lays down the rest of the way and rests his head on my leg. I looked down at my jean shorts, they were so dirty they look black. They have a few holes in them from me jumping bob wire a few times.

"I think I need new pants."

          The dog looks up at me. I turned to my side to get my bag to grab a picture of my brother holding a teddy bear to show the dog.

               "This is my brother his name is Bentley and that's his teddy bear Mr. Links I got it for him for his sixth birthday. He always took it everywhere with him, he wouldn't  even put him down for this picture so my mom let it be."

             A tier falls brown my cheek and the dog licks my face I giggle 

"I'm going to name you Bentley. After him. Because you remind me of him a lot. Always trying to make everyone smile."

           The dog lays his head down again on my leg and I rub his head calmingly.

"Its nice to have someone to talk to again."

  ----------------------------------------------