Chapter 12

5 days. 5 days with no progress. 5 days with nothing. 5 days of straight and utter bullshit. 5 days of no her.

With a glance at the small clock on the nightstand, I'm told it's 1 o'clock in the morning. More accurately, 1:13. Knowing sleep is out of the question, I get out of bed, throwing on a pair of sweats and a sweater over my t-shirt.

Silently jogging downstairs, I grab one of the house keys, leaving the house. As I walk, I feel the cool breeze through my thin sweater, the dark night watching over me. I walk without a care, only hearing silence.

If I wasn't practically out of my mind, I'd be scared shitless right about now. But my mind has shown me worse things than you can imagine.

I stop at the sound of a car. Looking up from the ground, I see a blue car pull into a driveway a block or two away from where I stand. A man gets out, walking to the front door of the house his car is next to. He walks in, but the lights are already on.

Almost like the flick of switch, yelling occurs. Taking a quick look around, I'm shocked that no one has woken up from the sudden ruckus. That's when I hear it. That same angelic voice.

It was her in that house. Her yelling back and forth with that man. I've found her. I've got you now, Ayana Amira Campbell.