Chapter 15

"Well, it needs to be fixed, immediately." I hear Shannon talk in the living room, on the phone with the alarm company.

I had got a call from one of my neighbors, Jack, if my alarm system was working on all doors and windows in my house. I checked and told him that all of the alarms on my windows weren't working and the same with my basement back door.

Being the nice person I am, I asked if he wanted me to checkout his house for him. He declined, saying that his friend was living there with him and the friend had already checked everything for him.

When he said that, I furrowed my eyebrows a little, since I've never seen anyone leave that house except Jack. But I left it alone, not being the one to be nosey.

"That's too long of a time to have them fixed! I have a job at night with a wife and child sleeping at night! I should be assured that we're safe in our home, since we're paying you$600 a year!" Shannon sounds pissed, and I am too but Shannon is overprotective of Dinah and I.

It took a lot of persuasion for Shannon to not give up the night shift he had when we met, for a day shift. They're both the same thing, just at different times and people on the night shift get paid more. I wouldn't want him to get paid less than me to be with Dinah and I. Shannon makes about 75,000 a year—probably even a little more, while I get about 71,000 a year.

I'm brought out of my thoughts, when I feel arms wrap around my waist and a fuzzy face moves itself into the crook of my neck. I giggle at the tickle on my neck from his beard, Shannon instantly smiling. He kisses the side of my neck, before moving away from me. I turn around, him placing me on the kitchen counter.

"And what are you doing in here?" Shannon questions, a small smirk tugging at his lips.

"Just thinking." I answer, rubbing my hands up and down his biceps, tracing parts of his tattoo on his left arm.

"About?" He replies, his hands rubbing my sides and hips

As I open my mouth to speak, his cell phone rings. He pulls it out of his pocket, checking the screen.

"Who is it?" I whisper, as he presses the answer button.

"The job." He whispers back quickly, before putting the phone to his ear. "Hello?"

I wonder why the job was calling him, since he had the night off.

"Um, no. Why?" His eyebrows furrow together, a look of pure confusion on his face. "I would call the police and have them figure it out. Because I never left a duffle bag."

His muscles tense under my touch, his confused expression turning into an alarmed one.

"I'm coming over there right now." He quickly ends the call, putting his phone back in his pocket.

"What's wrong?" I question, becoming worried myself.

"Someone left a duffle bag with my name on it, full of pictures of me around the house." Shannon rubs a hand down his face.

My heart drops, and suddenly it's hard to swallow.

Is Nate back?