Chapter 4: A Double Search

At a secret dark room in the gaming world of Fantasia, Sheena was meeting with a well-known information broker only known as the Nerd. Despite the fact several lit holographic screens hovered around him, only his glasses were noticeable in the dimly lit room.

The Nerd spoke with a slightly croaky tone "so...you've returned with more questions? Well then...ask away"

"it seems rather strange that you're giving me this info for free" said Sheena "I mean the term broker, means you receive what you give. And right now, you're not receiving much"

"don't worry. You're giving me a good trade" he tapped on a screen which showed a video playing of Tema in brave mode "despite all my time in this game...I have never heard or seen this ability. So I think data on this power is payment enough. Now ask away"

"This question concerns...the girl that has been accompanying my friend Tema?"

"I remember you asked me before" the nerd held out his hand and typed on a virtual keyboard to bring up images of Alise "I've been investigating the girl...and" he put up his glasses "I...can't find anything out about her"

This comment seemed to shock Sheena "do you...want to repeat that? For you not to know something...is unheard...especially twice"

"Tell me about it" said the nerd sounding unhappy "I first tried to see if she was a player but...she isn't. All I know is at the very least a INPC but...I'm not even sure of this"

The Nerd put up his glasses "If she was human she would be armed or have returned back to reality but...she remains in Fantasia. She eats, sleeps and lives there. However no NPC's, except bosses or scripted allies, have either health bars or magic abilities and...she's neither of the above"

"So...what happens now" asked Sheena

"Well...come back after the system update in a couple of days. All players have to log out for the day so...I'll have plenty of time"

"All right..." she brought up a log out message "I'll see you later" she disappeared from view

"that day...is when they make their move. It things go as planned...project Aegis...will make an appearance"

Arion was finishing school as normal and as he left Francis rushed behind him "hey dude"

"Francis" he then walked with him

"Claire told me about how you confronted the first boss"

"yeah...I did" Arion rubbed his head "no problem"

"No problem...No problem have you heard yourself!? The monster evolved on you! It was practically double your level at the time! Not even I could have fought it and lived"

"I think I got lucky. It only evolved on its last leg so...it didn't have much stamina left. If had done it off the bat...I've have been beaten"

 "It is rather odd...bosses are only meant to improve during their second fight but a win is win. Alright?" Tema nodded somewhat embarrassed "So what level are you now?"

"forty...I think"

"wait...what?" Francis put his arm around him "that's awesome bro. Your only a few levels below me now. I can start requesting assistance from you" Arion nodded as they walked along.

Francis' house came into view "well bro this is my stop. You're heading to the central continent right?" Arion nodded "that means I'd better hurry along. I can't have you overtaking me in the story" his house just came up "so...by the time you see me I'll have cleared the second trial"