Chapter 12: Forging New Strength

Tema laid slump and still on the floor with remnants of the lightning still sparking round him. Alise stood angrily and bravely against Boris "leave him alone...and I won't run away"

"it's not as if you could but...okay" said Boris "I am intrigued though...this signal targets the muscles forcing the body to move but for him...it's different. He could resist but...he couldn't disobey...maybe the program needs tweaking"

Boris walked to the axe and pulled it out of the ground "now...to continue" Boris dragged the axe towards Alise "the work" but then he saw Tema stirring and getting up off the ground "back for more punishment huh?" the red sparks reappeared "I'm surprised by your resistance...most people would have dropped by now. So...I've got a task for you...strike down the maiden you see before you"

Alise and friends gasped "you coward!" called Thor

"Don't listen to him Tema" called Sheena but Tema slowly walked towards Alise "there you go...good lad" he walked closely to her "now...draw your sword" he pulled out his sword "and strike her down" but he went past her and stood in-front of her.

Boris looked surprised as Tema stood in-front of Alise with sword in hand "how can you still resist? I said strike her down" once more the sparks turned to lightning but Tema refused to move "Strike her down!" Tema still struggled and managed to resist while Alise looked worried

"Tema...please...I...don't want to see you hurt" said Alise

"neither...do...I want to...hurt you"

Tema  managed to say "You're...my...friend" the red lightning increased in intensity "I won't...let him...hurt you"

"You're starting to annoy me boy" said Boris angry "even now as your life drains away...you still resist" Tema's bar's emptied a second time showing the third one "there's goes your second life...keeping going and it's game over" Tema remained adamant "huh...fine I'd better quell any stubbornness you have left. Right now you're life has been tied to this world"

Tema through the pain listened to Boris "When you lose a life you simply warp back to town so...death isn't physical. However now's it different. Your brain...now thinks all of this is genuine and real. So think...when you lose your final life..." Sheena knew

"you will genuinely die"

"but...that's impossible" said Thor but Boris wagged his finger

"Although you as a real person will be fine and dandy...your brain won't know any better. It'll just assume when you die here...you die for real" Tema's friends looked horrified "so...keep resisting...and we'll see how long you last"

 Sheena watched as Tema's condition began to rapidly decline  "dam...I've got to do something...if we don't" Sheena said clenching her hands

"Sheena" said Thor calling to her "I'm with you"

 "Thor we've got to save him" he turned towards her

"I'm...listening...what have you got in mind?" Sheena formed a ball of light in her hand and rolled it to Thor

"throw it...at Tema...when the time is right but...do you have any strength left?"

"Sure...I have enough left to do that. Tema...hang in there"

Tema was still being affected by the red lightning as he became worse and worse. Tema had now dropped his sword and went to his knees as his third health was empty, revealing his final bar.  Boris whistled "impressive to have all three of your lives left" his final health bar was now declinging "but...you're on your final one now" rips began appearing all over his clothing as it became singed "you can't go on much longer"