you change him

October 15, 2015
Williamsburg, New York, United States

Riley sat at the kitchen table, staring at her phone that was lying on top of it during breakfast.

Maya, on the other hand, was stuffing strips of bacon into her mouth as she fed Nathan. With her hand on the bottle of milk, she sighed, loudly, "Riley, this is absolutely pathetic."

The said brunette was simply zeroing her eyes on the phone. She wasn't moving or speaking. She was just staring at it.

When she didn't get a response, Maya rolled her eyes, "Okay, no. Riley, look at me."

Riley still didn't budge.

Maya groaned, loudly, as she grabbed one of Nathan's baby toys that was sitting on the table and hurtled it at Riley, "RILEY!"

"Huh, what?" Riley snapped back to reality, as she looked to where the toy bounced off to.

"Riley, either make the damn call or don't," Maya looked annoyed, as she reached for another bacon strip, "You've been sitting there, staring at the phone for 20 minutes now. It's weird."

Riley sighed, as she glanced at her phone again, "I just don't know..."

Maya gently took the bottle out of Nathan's mouth and set it down on the table. She carefully adjusted her position so that he could comfortably lay in her hap.

"Riles," Maya shook her head in disbelief, "You have to make up your mind. Even though I would rather have you not talk to Farkle, you said you would call him so..."

"I have good, logical reasons to let Farkle see Nathan and I have good, personal reasons to not let him see his child," Riley said, as she crossed her arms over her chest, "They balance each other."

Maya looked down at Nathan and then back up at Riley, "Okay. How about this? If Nathan spits up when I hand him to you, then you have to call him."

Riley raised an eyebrow, "You just fed him. He's not gonna spit up now."

Maya smirked as she held Nathan up, with her hands under his arms and handed him towards Riley, "Exac-"

She got interrupted when Nathan spit up. "Fuck."

Riley took Nathan into her arms and wiped his lips.

"Are you fucking kidding me," Maya groaned, as she stuffed the last strip of bacon into her mouth, "Ugh."

Riley looked at her phone again, "Guess I have to call him."

"Oh, God," Maya rolled her eyes, "I can tell that you're giddy with excitement in the inside."

"I am not!" Riley insisted, as she grabbed her phone, "I'm just following your rules that-"

"That you never formally agreed to," Maya gave her a knowing look, as she stood up and picked up the empty plate to put in the sink.

Riley sighed, "Should I call him?"

Maya shrugged, "I guess. I mean, I don't want you too, but it's not like you're gonna move on like nothing happened. Might as well get this done now." She paused and then said, "So yeah. Call him."

Riley took a deep breath and then turned on her phone. She held Nathan in her lap, as she went to her Contacts app.

Farkle was still there, just in plain letters, without any Emojis or anything. Riley's finger hovered over the Call button.

"Nathan, baby," Riley said, holding the phone in front of his face, "Call your dad." She directed his small finger to the Call button.

When she heard the dial tone, she took a deep breath as she waited for an answer.