what a day

October 24, 2015
Williamsburg, Brooklyn, New York

"Oh, no," Maya groaned, loudly, as she walked into the apartment and shut the front door behind her, "This is maddening."

Riley rolled her eyes, as she fed Nathan bananas, "What is it, Maya?"

"You're cordially invited to the Bradford Family Halloween Masquerade! Maya said, in a fake cheerful tone, "All donated proceeds will benefit the New York Department of Education."

She tossed the invitation card onto the kitchen table, "It's that."

Riley reached for it and took a look at it herself. After reading over it, she set it down and sighed, "Oh."

"Yeah," Maya said, as she took a seat in the chair across from her, "Do you think Farkle's stupid ass put her up to this? Or maybe it was Lucas's pathetic self."

Riley shrugged, "I honestly have no clue."

Maya sighed, as she crossed her arms over her chest. "Well... are you gonna go?"

"Are you not invited?" Riley raised an eyebrow, as she fed Nathan another banana slice.

"Oh, I am," Maya said, "but I asked you a question. Are you gonna go?"

Riley held in a chuckle, "Not by myself, that's for sure."

Maya raised an eyebrow, as she grabbed an apple from the bowl of fruit in the middle of the kitchen table, "Hold up. So, basically, you're telling me that you would actually be willing to go as long as you don't go alone?"

Riley gave Maya a knowing look, "I'm still 25 years old, Maya. I like liquor."

"Unbelievable," Maya rolled her eyes, as she faced the young baby, "I'll make sure your mommy doesn't get too tipsy."

"Are you saying that you would go, then?" Riley looked at Maya, inquisitively.

"Hypothetically," Maya replied almost immediately, "I'm not confirming anything." She took a bite out of the apple.

Riley shrugged, "It could be fun. Remember Billy's Hamptons party last year? It was so much fun."

Maya's nose wrinkled, "Well, as much as I would love to agree, Lucas hooked up with Daniella at that party."

After she had found out that Lucas had been cheating on her, she began to connect the dots and eventually figured out the times he had slept with Daniella behind her back.

Riley's smile drooped. She swallowed her breath and then said, with a sympathetic look in her eyes, "I'm sorry, Maya. I shouldn't have brought that up."

Maya waved her off, "It's whatever. I've moved on, but anyway, getting to the point, are you seriously considering going?" She took another bite out of her apple.

Riley looked at her son, "Missy's parties are usually well under control since there's already plenty of children there, so we could bring Nathan with us. We could dress him in some cute little outfit."

"Oh, hell no," Maya said, swallowing the chunk of apple that she had been chewing on. "Literally, listen to yourself talk, Riley. You sound crazy. I mean, do you not understand the context of what you're saying?"

"Farkle wants to try with me to have a good relationship with Nathan," Riley said, as she wiped his small mouth.

"But you're going to be in public," Maya pointed out, "In front of all of his fellow Manhattan rich douche bag socialite pieces of shit. And not to mention, his parents. They're gonna flip out, Riles."