rejection

Farkle had just began to eat his dessert, as he engaged in a conversation with Fallon O'Shea. "Well, I think the villas in Italy are nice, but I also liked the houses in France."

"Have you ever been to Dublin?" Fallon raised an eyebrow, as she tucked some strands of her honey blonde hair behind her ear, "Ireland is an amazing country."

Farkle shook his head, "Unfortunately, no. I've heard great things about Dublin, though."

Fallon looked disappointed, "Awe, well, that's a shame. I think you would love Ireland. Maybe one day, I'll throw a party there and I'll invite you.

Farkle chuckled, "Sounds good, Fallon." He sort of felt awkward to be talking to one of Lucas's fuck buddies, but he was bored, anyway.

Fallon giggled, "Anyway, do you happen to know where your stepbrother is? I wanted to talk to him." She wiped her lips with a napkin.

"Really?" Farkle asked, sounding genuinely shocked. He paused for a moment, when he saw Fallon's brows furrow. "I mean, considering his... reputation, I would have though that you-"

Fallon cut him off, with an amused look on her face, "Oh, no, Farkle. It's not that. It's just that I saw his ex here, the Maya girl, and-"

"Wait," Farkle's eyes immediately widened, "What?!"

Fallon frowned, "I... saw his ex here? But anyway, I just thought that that would be awkward because D-"

Farkle didn't hesitate to cut her off again, "Maya? Maya Hart? She's here?" He set down his dessert fork.

His heart started to beat faster. If Maya was here, it was more than likely that Riley was here too.

"Yeah," Fallon nodded, feeling confused as to why Farkle seemed so tense all of the sudden, "But don't you think it would be so awkward if she ran into Daniella Hills here?"

Farkle was scanning around the ballroom, trying to find Riley. He was still listening to Fallon, though, and responded, "She's back in New York?"

Fallon nodded, immediately looking interested, "Yeah. I guess that she's done with Calabasas already. Penelope told me that Daniella sold her mansions in Hidden Hills and Calabasas and that she bought a new penthouse in Midtown."

Farkle looked at the blonde, "Damn. I never thought that she'd come back to Manhattan. Especially so soon."

"That makes two of us," Fallon snorted, as she began to play around with the diamond ring on her right middle finger, "I mean, considering how bad her supposed 'relationship' with Lucas went."

After Maya and Lucas broke up, he had briefly dated Daniella, but that relationship never worked out. She had moved to Los Angeles to get away and start over with new guys. It seemed as if she had already gotten bored with Los Angeles in less than a year.

"So, she's here right now?" Farkle asked, as he turned away from the heiress to look around for Riley again.

"Yup," Fallon nodded, as she reached for her half filled glass of champagne, "I saw her earlier."

"And what about where Maya is?" Farkle asked. The blonde was probably with Riley and he really wanted to talk to her.

"I have no clue," Fallon shrugged, after taking a sip, "She was eating earlier somewhere over there and-"

Farkle looked to where Fallon was pointing and saw Riley sitting at a table, picking at her creme brûlée. She had a mask over her face but he could still recognize her.