Chapter Seven

"No! No! Go away! Get away from me!" Luna's mother shouted.

"Mom. Please. It's me. Calm down." Luna said while trying to calm her mother down. 

"No! They killed Nicholas!" She struggled. "You may be one of them!"

"Mom! I'm your daughter! Please mom, just listen to me."

All of a sudden, Nurse Stacey entered the room. 

"Luna, are you okay?" She asked. 

"No, please." Luna said. "Help my mom."

"Of course. Of course." Stacey approached Luna's mother carefully. 

Weeks have passed, her mother's condition has only gotten worse. Luna barely left the room in order to take care of her mother, but it was no use. She began to consider Luna as an enemy. Nurse Stacey would check and help her with whatever she needs. She became very aware of Luna's condition  especially now that her mother's completely traumatized. Everyday, Nurse Stacey would leave a brochure about the program. Luna thought about it for a couple of days. She looked at her mother. As much as it hurts, Luna had no choice but to put her in it. 

"Are you sure about this, Luna?" Commander Lucas asked. 

"Yes, sir. I am." Luna answered. 

"Luna, I want you to think---"

"Sir, with all due respect, I've thought about it for a couple of days and this is my conclusion. This is the only way to help her."

"Very well, Luna. I'll send Nurse Stacey to fix and arrange your things. You will be leaving first thing in the morning. I'll also be contacting one of your relatives to take you while your mother's gone."

"Yes, sir."

As Commander Lucas pick up the phone to address Nurse Stacey, Luna interrupted.

"One more thing, sir." Luna said.

"What is it?"

"I would like to join the army."

Commander Lucas was fascinatingly shocked.

"I know that I cannot take heavy training for now but I would surely like to take the classes and endure moderate training that it accompanies."

He didn't question Luna's proposal for he was stunned by the determination and eagerness in Luna's eyes. 

"Very well. I will assign you to the next week's classes where you will be joining the class of ASA but if you prove yourself excellently, then you will be accelerated into the next section where you'll be enhanced with more advanced training strategies, techniques, and mechanism. Understood?"

"Sir, yes, sir. Thank you."

"You're now dismissed."

The thrill of excitement and pain of sadness cannot be explained. Her decision might affect their mother-and-daughter relationship, but it would only cause great help and improvement for her mother's mental health condition. A part of her seeks vengeance for what Shattania have brought her but the other part seeks patience. In life, our only enemy is our inner-self. Luna knows her brother had seek for peace, that's the path she will be stepping and lead, no matter how her world crumbles. 

That night, before she went to sleep, Luna combed her mother's hair as she explained the conversation that she had with the Commander. The fact that her mother's not listening broke her heart. Luna wants to secure in her mother's knowledge that the purpose of her decision is to help her go through in this difficult situation. Luna placed the comb down and looked at her. 

"Mom." Luna said. "You're the only one I have left."

Her mother closed her eyes. 

"You know how much you mean to me and how much I love you. The program can help to rebuild yourself mom. Then one day, we'll see each other when you get better." Luna embraced her. "No matter how tough life can be, I know that I have the most wonderful woman in the world, and I'm glad to call her mom."

Luna kissed her mom tenderly on her cheek.

"I love you, mom. I'll always will."

"I love you too, Luna."