Chapter Ten

Jess was sitting in front of me, on the edge of his bed. In his hands was a copy of an Old Western novel, a cowboy on its front, the spine creased pathetically with use.

I sat across from him, on a metal chair I had dragged in from outside his cell. I held out a berry smoothie, offering it to him.

"What happens in that one?" I asked.

Jess didn't look at me. He didn't put down the book either. Instead, I held it in one hand, fingers folding over the spine, and without so much as a glance my way, he took the smoothie from me.

Placing it between his lips, he sipped some and made a satisfied groan.

"Cowboy and Indian nonsense, really," he mumbled, taking another sip.

I furrowed my brows, cocking my head, "What's the matter?"

"Huh?"

"You just seem... I don't know...Off."

"Do I?" he said, nonchalantly.

I nodded and leaned forward in my seat, resting my elbows on my knees, clasping my hands together.

"Are you okay?"

He shot me a quick look, sipping from his smoothie again. With an exaggerated puff, he sighed, "I'm just tired. Didn't really sleep much."
 "Why?"

"Criminal masterminding. You know, bad stuff."

"Working on how to escape?" I chuckled.

Jess's seriousness caved as he smiled at me softly, trying to distract himself with his book, "Aren't I always?"

A shuffling from behind us, and a slight, uncomfortable caught snapped us from our conversation. Jess looked over my shoulder, while I turned around.

Amy stood, her arms crossed, leaning against the wall, bored.

"Problem?" I blinked.

She shook her head, averting her gaze, paying little attention to me."

I coughed, purposely.

"Problem?" She mocked.

I squinted at her, fainting precious, "Do you mind then?"

I turned back to Jess, fake smile. He grinned at me, amused.

"Not really. You know, just wondering why we pay you to encourage criminals to break out of their cells on the regular."

To Jess's amusement I reacted by rolling my eyes, unimpressed at her. He looked between Amy and myself.

"Now, ladies. I'm flattered. Ya'll arguing over me," he grinned.

I raised my brows, and sat back, a soft smile on my face at his ridiculousness. Behind me, I felt Amy tense.

"Watch your tongue, Dane," she snapped.

"Feisty."

I nodded, agreeing.

Jess coughed, awkwardly and handed his now finished smoothing towards me, a soft smile still playing on his lips, old charm shining through.

Amy must have noticed, shooting him another snappy comeback.

"Whats so funny?"

Jess shrugged, leaning back onto his bed, skimming over the pages of his novel, seemingly oblivious to either of us still in the room with him.

"Answer me, criminal," she demanded, approaching the bed.

I shot her a look over my shoulder, "You won't get anyone to talk with that attitude," I offered.