Chapter 14

"You're leaving?" Taehyung's eyes slowly turn from the empty closet to my eyes.

I don't answer and just watch as his serious expression changes to something I've never seen on his face before. Is it...sadness?

"Yes. I have to go back. For Amber's sake..." I walk towards the closet and close the sliding doors.

When I turn back around I see Taehyung right behind me and I gasp. He's always doing this.

"Don't-" he turns his head away and takes a step back when my new phone's ring tone sounds.

I look down at my phone and answer it once I see the number. It's Amber's number.

"Jen?!" She yells as soon as I answer.

"Amber what-"

"I've been trying to call you! Why haven't you answered?!"

She doesn't even give me a chance to answer her question and keeps talking.

"Mom made me call to apologize." She says; her voice is low and full of shame.

Mom?? Our mother told her to apologize??

"What?" I freeze once again.

Taehyung's eyes suddenly turn towards me.

"I didn't- Jen please don't hate me."

"What the hell are you trying to say, Amber??"

"Mom's not dead. She's in the hospital because she fainted from overworking herself, but she didn't die. I just really wanted you to come home and-"

"You're really fucking messed up, Amber." I hang up the phone and toss it on my bed.

The shift of emotions inside of me is quick. Almost like if I had some kind of bipolar illness. My sadness and pain quickly shift into anger.

Taehyung stays staring at me and a tilts his head when I sigh and throw myself on the bed.

I can't believe her. She doesn't know what she has done to me. She has done some pretty messed up pranks and jokes before, but this- messed up is an extreme understatement. What the fuck was she even thinking when she told me that? She probably wasn't even thinking. Those words she told me the other day almost killed me and it was a joke ?!

But mom is alive. I exhale a long sigh of relief.

I'll call mom tomorrow to check up on how she's doing.

"No," I tell Taehyung.

He's still staring at me. Now more confused than he was before.

"I'm not leaving." I continue.

A small smile escapes my lips. I still hate Amber for this, and for sure it will be a long time before she hears from me again, but mom is okay; I won't have to leave either.

Taehyung lets out a deep breath and sits next to me.

"What were you going to tell me?" I ask him and looks down at his fingers.

"Don't go." He says with caution.

I slowly look up at him.

"What?"

His answer had me taken aback. He has never cared whether I go or not before. In fact, he used to be the one always avoiding me. And now he tells me 'don't go'?

"I'm not repeating myself." He answers bluntly and stays looking at the ground.

"I heard you; I just wanted to make sure. Since when do you care if I leave or not? You have always avoided me."