Chapter 28

A month later
Lazarus

Flying over my city brought me memories. I was happy to be home though. Even for a little bit.

My "Dusk before Dawn" tour had finally hit my hometown. I was getting great reviews across the nation. People even called me a Artistic Rockstar.

Ha. Who woulda ever thought lil Lazarus would be a star.

The turbulence rocked the plane as we landed in the run way. I was excited but I was nervous to see Mariah. It felt like high school but more intense.

I grabbed my carry on and exited the first class cabin. I made it through all of the particulars at the airport and stood outside in the fresh spring air.

I inhaled deeply.
"Feels good to be home huh Lazzo."

I turned seeing Mariah behind me. I dropped my bag picking her up and swinging her.

"Oh my GAWDDD IVE MISSED YOUUUU!!" I yelled into her neck.

"Okay okay too tiiighttt." she wiggled her small feet trying to escape.

I sat her down easily onto the pavement. "My bad. Lil too excited I guess."

She laughed giving me a hug in return. "I missed you too. Come on we going to get some food. No buts."

I gave her a soldiers salute and followed her to her car. I stuffed my bags in the back and we headed to the food.
------------

"No so listen....then the guy is like oh well....I bet you can't do it upside down....I'm like dude? Are you crazy? Who the fuck paints a mural upside down? AND WHY does being able to paint it upside down make me anymore popular?!?"

I had Mariah hollering at my crazy fan stories. She wiped her eyes as she laughed tears. I laughed too revisiting all the funny memories.

"Woo. That's so crazy. The shit people say."

I nodded. "Yeah I know right. And out in New york...NO ONE has a filter. They say EXACTLY how they feel about you."

"Yeah unlike here where you gotta assume how people think. Then they talk shit about you behind ya back."

I nodded again. Our drinks and appetizer had arrived. I was starving so I didn't bother waiting.

We ate still sharing memories and catching up.

I looked at her under raised eyebrows. "So....you found anybody yet?"

She looked confused. "Whatchu mean? Like...a guy?"

"Of course. Ya know. Somebody special."

She smiled shyly. I knew exactly what that look meant. "Oooo tell me his name.....first and last...."

She looked taken aback "Damn why both you doin background checks?"

I nodded biting into the bbq wings. "Mhmmm first AND last please."

She chuckled. "Well....his name is Malcom and his last name is nun ya business."

"Oh arigh. When you find out he's a serial killer call me so I can say I told ya so." she poked me with her fork.

"Shut uuppp he's not like that. He's really nice and smart. He's a male nurse if you must know. And he's on his way to a ph.d to become a doctor."

I shook my head slowly. "Yup...the makings of a serial killer." she laughed. "Nah he sounds like he got it together. I'm happy if you happy."

She smiled softly "Yeah im happy. I just gotta...." she paused.

I waited for her response eagerly. "Just gotta stop comparing that's all."

"To who?" she glanced at me slowly.

"Oh. Yeah. I get that. You'll find somebody better. I know it."

"What about you Mr. Famous Artist....you seeing anybody?" she asked inquisitively.

I shook my head. "Nah. Art is my mistress and she won't allow it."

"Boy...you betta stop playin and find you some nice girl to stay warm with at night." she said jokingly.

She was right though. My bed was lonely. There were occasional women in and out cause ya know....I got needs.

But other then that....no one to hold on to. No one to call mine. Once you lose the biggest pieces to your puzzle its hard to finish the picture.

"I know you miss her still....." she said quietly. She met my gaze. "You know she would want you to be happy though Laz."

I thought about the day I left. Having the vision of Luna right in front of me. I knew she wanted me to move on but I hadn't found the right one just yet.

"Yeah. It'll come. But I'm not rushing. Just real focused on my career and all these pop up gallery's for the tour. Whoever she is I know she'll find me."

She nodded understandably.

I paused the silence thickening. "I do think it's cause I miss my mom so much too though."

Her eyes widened. "Oh...really..."

"Yeah. Mother's love is what every boy needs and I missed out on a lot of that in my older years. Now she's gone and I'm still left empty."

She fiddled with her food nervously. "Yeah well....ya know...uh...yeah"

I furrowed my eyebrows at her. "You okay? You not making any kind of sense."

She looked at me. Her stare was intense and full of fear. Why did she always act like that when I mentioned my mom?

"Nothing. Nothing. Look Laz....I need to show you something tomorrow after the show. Are you free?"

I took a second to think about it "uh yeah I think so. What is it?"

"Something very special. You'll just have to wait and see okay?"

I chewed my lip nervously "okay....I guess. You know I hate surprises Mariah."

She nodded "Yeah but this one...you wont regret. I promise."