Chapter 24

Lazarus

(R.i.p Luna Dubouis)

My favorite season was finally here.
And I couldn't enjoy it.

I sat by the window on the bus staring at the icy streets. I goto visit Luna's grave once a month just to sit and talk to her.

Even though the snow was piled high I'm still going. I have too.

Once I arrived to the cemetery I took the long walk around to her headstone.

I knelt down knocking the snow off of the top. I put some new roses out for her. The real dark ones just like she liked.

I blew into my fists trying to keep my hands warm and spoke softly staring at her picture.

"Hey love...Told you I'd be here. I wouldn't miss this for nothing. Rain snow...tornado." I chuckled standing up.

"I miss you so much Lulu....I wish I could see you one more time. I see you in my dreams though....thanks for stoppin by."

I held back my emotions and continued to talk like she was right next to me.

"Oh yeah....graduations in a few months. All the seniors are excited. I know I'm ready to get out. Mariahs doing good too."

I knelt down again like we were sharing a secret. "She's been real clingy Lu. I'm not feelin it though. I mean....I love Mariah and all but....I just keep comparing her to you and it never matches up. I'm just tryna replace something I'll never have again.....I know you understand. You always did...."

My phone buzzed. It was Mariah.

Mariah: Hey I'm here to pick you up whenever you ready.

Read

I turned back to the cement stone.
"Well....baby.....I gotta go. I love you. And I miss you."

I kissed my first 2 fingers and placed them on the cold stone. I was getting a lot better cause I usually cried but these last couple visits I did real good.

I walked to the edge of the cemetery seeing Mariahs car.

I hopped in the passengers side letting the warm heat thaw me out.

Even though I wasn't emotional.... I wasn't totally fine either.

Mariah kept glancing at me. "You....you okay Laz?"

I nodded slowly "Yeah...just hurt that's all."

She sighed but it was more like a annoyed sigh. I ignored her the rest of the way home.

We made it to the apartment building heading upstairs. I got in, sat my jacket down, and plopped down on the couch.

Mariah sat next to me. She was really close but I wasn't in the mood at all. Having her company was nice but I missed Luna right now. I needed space. Her hand rubbed my leg as she moved closer.

"Mariah...not right now. Okay. I'm sorry."

I got up walking down the hallway.
I stopped at her door and opened it slowly.

Luna's room was the exact same way she left it. Mariah tried to pack up her stuff a while ago and we got into a big ass argument about it. I didn't want to let go yet. Not yet.

I closed her door softly and inhaled deep.

"Damn. Just not the same babe." I whispered

All of a sudden Mariah busted in. "Why are you in here again Laz? Don't you know you just killin yaself slowly? You need to get over her."