Chapter 14

After making love to Ana twice and settling her into bed, Christian was hammering away at the keys of his piano, a pall of doubt hanging over him.

I can't believe I told her how twisted I was. Hell, I can't believe she stayed. She really is brave. What is this girl doing to me? Have I gone too far? We're both treading on such thin ice here. Should I revert back to our traditional roles before either of us gets hurt? No, that fucker Flynn is right. I have no interest in going back to my old ways. This girl is more than an infatuation, or just a sub for that matter. I don't know what the hell this is, but I do know I have no intention of stopping it.

Suddenly, the sound of someone rummaging through the refrigerator broke him out of his musings.

Christian darted to the kitchen only to catch Ana holding the plastic container of leftover soup, her eyes round with worry.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she stammered. "I didn't realize I was making so much noise. I hope I didn't interrupt you. I was just a little hungry. It can wait till morning though. I'll go back to bed."

"No absolutely not," he objected, coming over to grab the container from her. "Go sit down and I'll reheat this for you."

Awestruck by his domesticity, Ana blindly took a seat on one of the barstools.

"Why are you still hungry?" he asked as he popped the soup into the microwave, his tone vaguely accusatory. You inhaled two huge bowls earlier.

"I guess I just liked the soup so much. Minestrone's my favorite," she shrugged.

"Did you have lunch today?"

"Ummm, yes. I probably just worked up an appetite from earlier," she teased.

Christian smirked, but saw through her diversion tactic.

"Ana, tell me the truth. You're biting your lip so hard it's about to sprout blood. I can tell you're lying." He put the soup and a spoon on the counter and took a seat next to her.

"I might've skipped lunch today," she confessed, taking a mouthful as she prepared herself for the backlash.

"What the hell? Why would you skip lunch? You only had a few classes today on campus and you weren't working at that damn hardware store." And I'm not saying that I know your schedule, but I know every inch of your schedule and you had two hours blocked off for lunch. "Answer me Anastasia," he demanded, his tone brooking no dissent.

Ana took another sip of soup, her hands shaky with the realization that she'd be forced to fess up.

"The money on my dining pass ran out," she mumbled. "It will get replenished next week though," she promptly added.

"Why didn't you just go out and buy some food?" he continued to grill her.

"I didn't have time," she said, withering under his intense glare. No wonder everyone seems to cower before him. He's more intimidating than the pope!

"You had over two hours. Don't give me that crap. Answer the question Anastasia," he barked.

Fuck, he's like a rabid dog. Just put both of you out of your misery.

"My next check from Clayton's hasn't come in yet. When it does, I'll stock up on groceries then."

Ana jumped when Christian screeched his chair back, the chalkboard-like scratch echoing through the room.

"In other words, you didn't have enough money for food! What the fuck Ana!" He began violently pulling his hair. "That's beyond unacceptable. I'm done with this nonsense. I'm paying for your food from now on, in addition to your rent and tuition so you don't have to drag yourself to that damn hardware store every other day. This ridiculousness ends now!"

"No," she screamed with conviction, rediscovering her voice. She hopped off her seat and stood directly in front of him, arms crossed. "I'm not some charity case! Just because I have to budget when I go grocery shopping doesn't make me a freak. In fact, it makes me similar to most of America! I respect your hang-ups about food, but I wasn't starving myself. I knew I was coming here for dinner and staying for the weekend — and I didn't exactly think you had an empty fridge. I was just waiting until Monday to stock up my own fridge. This doesn't all of a sudden negate the limits in my contract. I may not be rich but I'm not poor either. You can look at my checkbook if you want. There may not be much in there, but it's well-managed and it's all mine — and I won't let anyone take that away from me."

Christian stared down at the tiny spitfire that barely reached his shoulders, speechless by her passion — and audacity. He knew he'd touched a nerve but didn't know how to let the issue go.

"Ana what do you expect me to do?" He turned away, waving his arms in exasperation. "I've told you that I care about you. I've told you about my past and why food is so important to me. I spend millions of dollars ensuring that people are fed around the world. Do you really think I can just watch you of all people go hungry? You're going to have to meet me halfway here, because I won't let this one go Anastasia."

"Christian, please try to understand where I'm coming from. I can't allow you to start paying for everything," she beseeched him. "It's not wise. It's insulting. And above all, it's not who I am."

"And letting the woman I care about go hungry is not who I am," he shouted, startling her. He took a calming breath, approaching her and gently clasping her arms. "Look Ana, you have to at least let me pay for your groceries," he bargained, trying to find some middle ground. "I'm willing to let the rent and tuition go." For now. "But you need to compromise with me on this."

Ana looked into his pleading eyes, picturing a 4-year-old boy scavenging for food while his dead mother lay on the kitchen floor. "OK," she relented. "But just the groceries. Please. It's important that I not take advantage of you. I'm not here because of your money Christian."

"I know that Ana. That's the least of my concerns," he said, dropping a kiss on her forehead. "Feeding you, however, is at the top of my list of priorities. So I'll have someone deliver groceries to you from now on and I'll replenish your dining pass tomorrow. Deal?"

She quirked a disapproving brow at him. "Your introducing gifts by stealth."

"And I'm getting a taste of that fiercely independent streak you'd talked about earlier. I'm not sure how much I like it though," he smiled, relieved their spat was over. "Are you done with your soup?"

"Yes, I'm full. I promise," she vowed, an amused giggle escaping her lips.

"What's so funny Miss Steele?" Christian smiled, her good mood contagious.

"It's just that I made you promise no more confessions tonight, and here I go a few hours later confessing something else to you. It's like we're at church and we just can't help ourselves." Her infectious laughter eased his earlier torment.

"We better call it a night then before we confess all our sins. Come on, let's get your obstinate butt back into bed. I swear woman, you're going to the death of me."

Ana laughed in mock outrage. "Me? I'm surprised you haven't given yourself a coronary yet! At this rate, your hair will grow grey by the time you're 30 Grey!"

"It most certainly will if I don't get some sleep, so let's turn in. Besides, we both need the rest. I have a surprise for you tomorrow," he said, leading her by the hand back to her bedroom. Christian briefly pondered taking her into his room, but after the hissy-fit she threw about strictly enforcing the terms of her contract, he didn't think that would be wise.

"I think I've reached my quota of surprises," she muttered, crawling under the covers.

Not yet my dear. Christian grunted, turning off the light before laying down beside her. He ignored her surprised gasp and spooned her from behind, draping an arm around her waist.

"Quit being a smartass and go to sleep," he joked.

"Yes Sir," she grinned, closing her eyes.

Finally, she obeys me. Enjoy it while it lasts Grey.