Chapter 23

Oh fuck! His parents? Double fuckedy fuck!! I'm in the middle of a dance floor in a gigantic ballroom. It's not like there's anywhere for me to hide. Shit! He must be mortified having to introduce his sub to his parents.

Ana began to slowly inch away. Christian reflexively grabbed her waist to hold her in place.

"Christian!" the woman in a sleek white pantsuit screamed before barreling over to the couple.

"Mom, it's good to see you," he said warmly before giving her a brief hug. "Dad. How are you? I thought you guys were still in the Bahamas this week."

"Your mother wanted us to come home early for the gala. You know this is one of her favorite causes." They both stared expectantly at the young woman twisting her fingers into sweaty knots.

"Ana, this is my mother Grace and my father Carrick," Christian said, thrusting Ana forward to present her to his parents. "Mom, Dad, this is my date, Anastasia Steele."

"Hello. It's nice to meet you both," Ana smiled, trying to hide the slight tremor in her voice.

"Oh my gosh, it's lovely to meet you," the elegant woman gushed, vigorously shaking her hand. "Anastasia, what a beautiful name. Quite beautiful. Isn't that a beautiful name Christian?

He chuckled. "Yes mother, it's very beautiful," he affirmed. And yes, mother I'm straight and have some semblance of a social life. Wait till she finds out I love this girl. I'm pretty sure her head will explode.

"Anastasia. Anastasia," Grace reiterated, as if to herself. "Really such a beautiful name. And look at your dress. It's gorgeous. Who is it?"

Ana looked perplexed. "Uh, I'm sorry, do you mean whose is it?"

"No no dear. I mean who designed it?"

"Oh sorry! I actually don't know. Christian, errr, well, he picked it out."

Grace clapped her hands together, bursting with excitement. "Christian that's so sweet! You bought Ana's dress for her?"

Oh dear God, I think she's about to wet her pants. Christian turned to his father for help.

Carrick put his hands on his wife's shoulders, trying to rein her in.

"So how did you two kids meet?" he asked, hoping to steer the conversation into more neutral territory.

"We met on Ana's campus. She's an international law student at Seattle," Christian replied before pausing. For once, he wanted to share some news that would finally make his parents proud of him — not about another company he acquired or another deal he had inked. "We've been seeing each other for a few weeks," he said, grinning like the cat who ate the canary.

Grace let out something akin to a squeal that also resembled a cat, but one who had been run over by a car. Ana, meanwhile, looked like a deer caught in the car's headlights.

"That's wonderful! Absolutely wonderful! Oh Anastasia, we have to have you over for dinner so we can all get to know each other better," Grace shrieked.

"Uh, of course, I'd love that. And please call me Ana," she said, her voice wobbly.

"Ana, Ana, yes of course I will. So international law — what a fascinating, ambitious subject. Your family must be very proud of you."

Ana's mouth dropped slightly, her intake of air sharp.

"Ana is a very accomplished young woman," Christian interrupted, rubbing soothing circles on her lower back. And she doesn't need to start talking about her family, or lack thereof, with my nosy family. "In fact, I need to introduce her to a few more people before we head home, so if you excuse us mother."