Chapter 2

I eventually stopped dreaming, and once dinner came around, made enough vegetable soup for Henrik, Iris and I, and we both stared at the door, waiting for him. Iris didn't question if I was okay or not; I knew, deep down, she didn't care.

"When do you think Henrik will be back?" Iris asked, but I looked away and stared down at my soup, taking a sip.

"I don't know." I replied after I swallowed. "Sometimes he doesn't come back until I'm asleep, and some nights he doesn't come home at all."

"He'll come tonight." She smiled, sounding so sure, but my instinct was always to think oppositely of what she thought. It was like karma; it wasn't going to happen.

Well, that’s what I thought.

"Elisa!" I heard his voice, and I smiled wide as we both jumped up, running to the door. I almost ran into him, but he had his bow and arrows out, so we had to stop until he put them down. "Iris!" He smiled as he took her in his arms first, and I felt awkward as I saw them kiss. "It's been forever. I've missed you so much."

"I know, and I can't stand it." She whimpered, but their shared moment just made me more angry at her. "We need to see each other more."

"I know, love." He kissed her cheek softly. "I know."

"I'm here, too." I jumped into the conversation, feeling unimportant to him. Iris looked mad and confused as he let go of her, and he laughed as I ran into his arms.

"Hi Elisa." He greeted, but as my arms found their way around him, I didn't think there was a way I could let go.

"I never see you anymore." I stated weakly, tightening my arms. "But I made dinner for us."

"Thanks, I’m starving." He stated as we walked into our eating area, sitting down with the bowls in front of us. I didn’t feel like eating much, just staring at him and realizing he’s here and not working so late with Robin.

"How was work?" I asked, breaking from my staring.

He swallowed what was in his mouth. "It was fine; we robbed one of the trader markets today." He told us, and I nodded as Iris batted her eyes. "The place was loaded, so we went home early to make sure we were split up enough."

"That’s good." I said nonchalant, but of course, Iris had to chip in.

"That's great! Maybe when there's enough money, we could get a bigger place?" She tilted her head sideways, the question really off guard to him.

Henrik ignored her easily, and went back to me. "What’d you do today?"

His question caught me off guard. "Uh, well, the usual." I replied, and he knew what that was.

"You can’t be cooped up on our land forever; it’s not healthy." He stated, standing up and grabbing my bowl. "Tomorrow, go out with Dinah and get out of the house."

"I tried to get her to hang out today, but she said she didn't feel good." Iris added, and Henrik's eyes widened as he leaned closer. "But I helped around the house, I cleaned your sword and washed crops and-"

"You don't feel good?" He cut her off abruptly as his hand felt my forehead and my cheek. "You don't feel hot…"

"It was only earlier today." I assured him, but he still didn't look convinced, and Iris had a scrunched, sour look on her face. "I feel better now."

He shook his head almost unnoticeably. "If you feel like you're getting sick or something-"

"Tell you, I know." I finished for him, knowing what he'd say. He's been giving me the same lecture since Mom and Dad died.