Chapter 5

The pirates scattered, going in different directions and I didn’t follow a single one. I didn’t know what to, or where to be. Nobody told me anything. I was a peasant; I was used to being told what to do from higher people!

"You need to practice with the bow, right?" An English voice asked, and as I whipped around, it was Christian. "We can practice in the room next to the Captain’s."

"That’s good." I remarked as he led me through the maze of pirates, slithering around them and dodging them swiftly if they were about to get in his way. He opened the wooden door and we stepped inside, and he closed it right after. He lit a couple matches and torches that filled the room with yellow light; the room was all wooden and long, but at the end, three targets covered by painted cloth.

"You better not have been lying back there." Christian stated, looking worried. "Val can pick out a liar within a few hours."

I shook my head. "No, I know how to shoot, I promise." I assured him as he handed me a quiver. I raised my arm to aim in the direction of the center target, but I still watched Christian from the corner of my eye. As soon as my arm drew back, I swung towards Christian with an arrow aiming right at his face.

He backed up against the wall, "Hey, what are you doing!?" I stepped closer slowly until the arrow tip touched the end of his nose.

 "I don't trust a single damn one of you." I growled, my intense eyes deepening into his frightened ones. "You're going to turn this damn ship around and take me home."

"I can't do that!" Christian argued, and I flinched to shoot the arrow, making him duck rapidly. "I can't steer a ship!"

"Lies!" I shrieked intensely, but as soon as I was about to let go, Christian's hands flew to my wrists and locked around them, and he swung me around hard and slammed me against the wall, my arms far apart. The bow and arrow fell to the floor.

"I don't want to hurt you, but if you leave me no choice I will do it." Christian stated, his grip tightening, making me flinch. "I want to let you go, but you have to promise me you'll actually practice and not try to kill me."

My foot rose sharply and kicked him in the shin, and he let go when he toppled over, gasping in agonizing pain. However, I didn't pick up the bow right away.

"Oh, I'm sorry, did that hurt?" I asked sarcastically as he shot me a death glare. "Man up."

He pulled out his sword so fast I didn't notice until he swiped at my feet, and I fell face first on the floor. I scoffed at the blow and reached for the bow, but he stood up and kicked it away from me.

"Cheap move," I stated.

"Shut up," He ordered, going to where he kicked the bow and picking it up. "I can't trust you with this anymore."

 "You trusted me before?" I pushed myself against the floor to sit up. "Big mistake on your part."

"Stand up." He ordered, but I smirked at the fear in his voice. He was trying to be so powerful, but it wasn't working. "Captain needs to see you shoot, so you're going to before I get blamed for you not practicing." He held his sword out while he handed me the bow, but I figured I couldn't do anything about it now. He had some defense, and he was probably better than me.

I took the bow and arrow and made sure the quiver was secure on my shoulder and back. "Watch this." I ordered as I drew an arrow and loaded it, aiming at the target.

But just like that, his sword swiped down sharply at my wrist. I jerked back in shock, but the arrow fired, hitting the ceiling and bouncing until it hit the floor.