Chapter 7

It’s been about three months since we set sail, and I haven’t done much but clean the deck. I was stuck with my normal ragged clothes, the pirates saying that I couldn’t get the flared white shirt and black pants until I was a real pirate. I didn’t care if I wasn’t a real pirate, it was cold at night and I didn’t like to wear a dress around so many men. I still had the list of words though, and I didn’t share them it anyone.

 Christian and I haven’t really seen each other. We did for a while, but then he’d go fence with someone for a while and I wouldn’t see him the rest of the day. Sometimes I would get help with the bow and arrow, but it wasn’t from him. I had a feeling he still didn't like me. The other pirates still pestered me about how to use a sword. I told them the same thing. I wasn’t going to learn and I was never going to learn.

 The only thing I wondered was when we were going to get to this land. I had only seen the map twice, and only a couple seconds each, but I was pretty sure we were close. I waited day in and day out for this; I was sick of being on this blasted ship!

 When supper came along, everyone else was wondering the same thing I was.

 "Captain! When will we land?" Lila asked frantically. "We’re running low on food and we’re sick of this ship!"

 "Yeah! Where is this place, anyway?" Richard asked, and I could tell there was going to be an argument over this. The other pirates started bickering at Val and each other.

 "Mateys! Calm down!" Val pleaded us, and we quieted a little, but not enough to matter.

 "We’ve been on this thing for three months!" Caesar stated, and always got really badly sea-sick. "I need to step on land to make sure it still exists!"

 "We’re getting there!" Val assured, but they were pirates; they were so not easily convinced. But as they argued, I found that this was my time to finally see Dinah. I figured out where they had her, but I never had time to actually do it. And I had to make sure she was still alive.

 I snuck out of the cramped room and onto the open deck. No one was out here, and no one was steering. Spectacular, we'll crash soon enough. But I ran across the deck and through the last door on the left, hoping down the stairs and across the hall, everything engulfed by the wood. Dinah was there, chained at the ankles and wrists, but there and breathing.

 "Dinah!" I whispered loudly, falling down beside her. "Dinah, you okay?"

 She woke up slightly, her eyes dysfunctional and her face completely white. "How are you still here?" She asked, and I picked up her wrists to try to play with the chains until they slid off.

 "How are you still here? You look like you died." I stated honestly, but I feel like she needed to hear it.

 "They may let me off whenever we stop." She told me, and the chain slid off once I played with it enough.

 "Okay, we may be able to get away then. But until then, you gotta pretend like you’re chained and they won’t re-chain you." I ordered, but I still heard them arguing. "It’s been three months. We’re arriving there shortly."

 "That’s good." She breathed, exhausted but sincerely glad. "You gotta get back up, they’ll be looking for you."

 "Right. I’ll see you later." I assured as I ran back down the hallway, up the stairs and back into the dining hall, where the argument was still going strong.

 "Look, I don’t know when." Val stated, his voice choppy, meaning he’s been doing this a while and he wants to be done with it. "We get there when we get there. End of story. You’re my crew and you’ll do what I say." With that, he left the dining hall and back up to steer his ship. We all stood awkwardly, wondering what to do now. Nobody wanted to do anything.