Chapter 13

Out of everywhere and getting lost, I found myself back at the ship. Everyone else that I didn't see earlier was here, but the sun was really starting to set, almost two-thirds over the ocean.

"What 're ye doing here, lass?" Will asked, and everyone else stopped to look at me for a couple seconds. "Aren't ye supposed to be back with Captain?"

"He's not letting me fight those… things off." I stated, but was looking around for someone else. "Where's Dinah?"

"On the ship. It was best if she stayed out of our way." He dropped what wood he had in his arms, took the sword and chopped. "You'd best do the same."

"Right. Sorry." I muttered, slipping past all the pirates to get back onto the ship.

I walked aboard, dropping onto the wooden deck and moving swiftly to her room. I opened the door slowly, peeking in, seeing her with her knees up, staring at the ceiling. "You need company?"

She sat up quickly, smiling once she saw me. "Yes, very much."

I closed the door quietly and sat on her bed as we hugged each other tightly. "I never see you anymore."

"I know, and I hate it." Dinah whimpered as she let go. "Are you the only one aboard besides me?"

"I think so." I replied as her face lit up fully.

"Let's take the ship!" She exclaimed, but I shook my head fast. "Why not? It'll be perfect! They're all on the island, and we can go home to see our families-"

"I'm not leaving Christian here." I stated quickly, and she scooted back, her face scrunching up in confusion.

"Why?"

"He's teaching me how to sword fight." I replied simply, but she shook her head right back.

"You know that I know Henrik knows how to sword fight." She stated as simply as I said mine. "What's your real reason?"

"You're just like him." I thought out loud, but at a whisper. "I like him, Dinah. I like him a lot. I know he's kind of annoying, but he wants to know I'm safe and he told me he never wanted to see me killed."

"He's a pirate." She stated lowly, placing her hands firmly on my shoulders. "He's just like the rest, he's not different. He thinks he has all this charm, but you know he's just in it for the treasure like the rest of them. They're all the same."

"You don't know him like I do."

"I don't think you know him as much as you think you do."

"What is that supposed to mean?"

"Elisa…" Her voice wavered and she sounded hurt. "I don't want to see you get your heart broken over this guy. I doubt you know anything about his personal life. What village is he from? Who's his king? What was his job before? His family? Do you know any of that?"

"I don't have to." I countered, standing up again. "But I know from him that I don't have to listen to Val like everyone else. I'm not part of the crew, and I'm going to fight for Fairacre." I pulled out the dagger-sword Christian gave me. "I can defend myself."

"Where did you get that?" Dinah asked, horrified. "Look at it! How'd you get a sword like that?"

"Christian gave it to me." I replied with a smile. "You should stay on the ship, but I'll see you in the morning once we win."

"Don't do this, Elisa." She pleaded, but I was already out the door.

I got back on track to finding food, and I wanted to explore more, hopefully not getting lost in the process. There were trees all round, but once it really started to darken, I found myself alone and completely lost on the other side of where I was supposed to be.